Posted By
Garrett
Aug 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.

I’m in the market for a 35mm scanner for my Mac Pro. I see that there are a lot of older models still being sold out there, and I want to make sure I get one that is compatible with the new Macs. I’ll be scanning both chrome and negs, color and B&W.

I’d appreciate any suggestions from experienced users.
Thanks for your help!

Garrett

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Rob
Aug 14, 2007
Garrett wrote:
Hello.

I’m in the market for a 35mm scanner for my Mac Pro. I see that there are a lot of older models still being sold out there, and I want to make sure I get one that is compatible with the new Macs. I’ll be scanning both chrome and negs, color and B&W.

Thanks for your help!

Garrett

What you have to make sure you get, is scanning software that will link the scanner to the Mac.

Connecting it to a computer is not a problem as there is any amount of cables available..

r
J
jaSPAMc
Aug 14, 2007
Garrett found these unused words:

Hello.

Thanks for your help!

Garrett

Frankly, get one of the latest flatbed PHOTO scanners. They’re far better than most ‘older’ dedicated film scanners! Light in lid, holders for up to 6×9 negs and … !!!

Oh yeah, will mate with latest PC’s or Macs !
G
Garrett
Aug 14, 2007
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:25:41 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Frankly, get one of the latest flatbed PHOTO scanners. They’re far better than most ‘older’ dedicated film scanners! Light in lid, holders for up to 6×9 negs and … !!!

That may be the way to go. Here is what I found on Nikon’s site, and this just won’t do:

"Nikon Scan Version 4.0.2
Based on testing of version 4.0.2, installation takes longer than normal. However, we have confirmed that installation is completed after a short wait and basic operations are possible.* (*Operation under Rosetta) However, when sleep settings are applied in Mac OS X System Preferences>Energy Saver>Sleep panel (any setting other than Never) and the computer enters sleep mode, the scanner’s connection is terminated. Therefore, Never should be selected in the Energy Saver’s Sleep panel. We are currently looking into resolution of these problems."

Any recommendations on flatbed photo scanners that work well with the Mac Pro? I’d like one that can deliver 4000 dpi.

Thanks!

Garrett
J
jaSPAMc
Aug 15, 2007

wrote:

That may be the way to go. Here is what I found on Nikon’s site, and this just won’t do:

Based on testing of version 4.0.2, installation takes longer than normal. However, we have confirmed that installation is completed after a short wait and basic operations are possible.* (*Operation under Rosetta) However, when sleep settings are applied in Mac OS X System Preferences>Energy Saver>Sleep panel (any setting other than Never) and the computer enters sleep mode, the scanner’s connection is terminated. Therefore, Never should be selected in the Energy Saver’s Sleep panel. We are currently looking into resolution of these problems."

Any recommendations on flatbed photo scanners that work well with the Mac Pro? I’d like one that can deliver 4000 dpi.

Thanks!

Garrett

I like the Epson Perfection Photo series myself. They’re fast, the interface is excellent offering three ‘modes’ depending upon how serious you are about ‘control’.

The local Historical society uses a Canoscan Photo.

Both are equipped with light lids.

Regretfully I can’t say about Mac connection, I’m PC based, sorry!
S
SpaceGirl
Aug 15, 2007
Garrett wrote:
wrote:

Thanks!

Garrett

I use a bog standard Epson RC640 combo printer/scanner/copier… negotiated it free with my Mac Pro from Apple. Works fine! Very nice high-res film scanning using VueScan (rather than the sucky Epson software), works nicely with PSCS3. The printer wont break the bank either.

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com
Aug 15, 2007
On 2007-08-13 21:39:28 -0230, Garrett said:

Hello.

Thanks for your help!

Garrett

You can’t beat microtek especially if the scanner comes with silverfast. they have some decent scanners under $1000.

PS. Silverfast has the option to choose which film your scanning (kodac. etc) this option alone is fantastic, but there’s so much more to it.

Cheers
Freelancer
T
tomm42
Aug 16, 2007
On Aug 14, 11:25 am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Hello.

Thanks for your help!

Garrett

Look at the Epson V700, I put my older Nikon LS2000 away after buying this scanner. Faster and more dynamic range, all formats to 8×10. We use it with PCs and Macs (an old G4 850) using USB connection.

Tom

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections