SK
Posted By
Sean_Kernan
Sep 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 3 gigs of RAM in a G5 plus 15 gb free on the drive, and have tried various settings for memory allocation, but nothing works. We are using Silverfast on a 4990 Epson. scanner This suddenly started. Any thoughts?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Sep 26, 2008
First thing that comes to mind is that your hard drive is way too full. Any drive that is 75% full is a disaster waiting to happen.

Also why tie up a $1000 application as a scanner UI. just fire up silverfast and scan. When you are done you open the scan in Photoshop.
GB
g_ballard
Sep 26, 2008
I’m using Epson 4990 and Sliverfast AI 6.5 (v 6.6.0r1) on both G4 PPC laptop and Mac Pro tower.

And I’ve seen that error before.

Launch SF, click on the "I" and Web Update (trash previous before installing)

PS

I recall I hit this error at least when I upgraded to Inter or 10.5 (I can’t recall which) and upgraded from AI 6 to AI6.5 tho they said ^ sould be working…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 26, 2008
I also use an Epson 4990 with Sliverfast AI 6.5 (v 6.5.5r3) on a G5 Dual and I use it with a Firewire connection with no problems — providing that I don’t have more than one Scanner connected simultaneously and that scanner is connected directly to a FW port on the computer and is not part of a train.
GB
g_ballard
Sep 26, 2008
ok, the two problem firewire machines were Intel Mac Pros, Epson replaced the Scanner and the new one also had the problem, I now only use it as USB, Silverfast comes out with a new driver update every couple of weeks (and it is still has problems here on my Intel boxes)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 26, 2008
It sounds more like another Leopard problem rather than a SilverFast or Epson one because FW is just fine with that combination on OSX 10.4.11 on a G5.
R
Ram
Sep 26, 2008
Sean,

You are woefully short on hard drive space.

Photoshop’s primary scratch drive should ideally be on a second, physically separate internal hard drive. I have such a dedicated internal 160 GB hard drive as my primary Photoshop scratch disk, other folks have even more powerful systems than mine. For laptops and iMacs, an external FireWire drive will do fine as a Photoshop scratch drive.

The OS also needs plenty of available hard drive space for its swap files. I have over 300GB free on my boot drive.

Independently from the above, I never let any of my drives, internal or external, get 60% full, 50% or less is much better. Once a drive gets to be 80% full, you are in big trouble.
GB
g_ballard
Sep 26, 2008
What Ramón said about free space.

my money is on the Silverfast driver and Mac FireWire

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections