PS3/Mac Scan plaid fabric swatch and adjust all lines to be perfectly straigh (not wavy)

AB
Posted By
Amanda_Brennan
Jan 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi I am wanting to scan a plaid fabric swatch and adjust so that all lines are perfectly straigh (not wavy).
I know I have learned how to do this in a class, but I cant find my notes, and am desperate, as I have some artwork that needs to be completed.

Any suggestions or advise is Appreciated!

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JD
John_Danek
Jan 13, 2009
I’d cut the fabric so the edge is straight. Then, tape it to the glass keeping the edge aligned with the edge of the glass. You could use a book or similar to weight it down. Sounds a bit tricky.
JM
J_Maloney
Jan 13, 2009
You could try transform…warp or filter…liquify too.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jan 13, 2009
How about spray glue the back of the material and use a roller to apply it to a thin piece of cardboard. Then cut the board parallel to the pattern and scan.
B
Buko
Jan 13, 2009
scan at high rez 600+ppi then rotate the image till its straight.

come on guys cut the fabric, liquify, glue? sounds like an art class in 5th grade.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 13, 2009
then rotate the image till its straight

< http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/qt/straighten.htm>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jan 13, 2009
Buko,

Have you ever tried to scan material? If you don’t use some sort to flatten the material and straighten the pattern you aren’t possibly going to get a flat result without some rippling. You better go back to fifth grade. Sometimes mechanical advantages are better than digital illusions.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 13, 2009
Have any of you guys ever actually handled woven fabric or tried to make a garment from it — particularly a hand-woven plaid?!!

8/

Your only hope of keeping the lines straight, AND at right-angles to each other, is going to be to steam iron the fabric; and then use a T-square and drawing-pins to stretch and accurately pin the fabric to a drawing board.

Then photograph it with the camera completely square to the board.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 13, 2009
Steaming the fabric flat helps immensely. But to keep the pattern components perfectly lined up is not going to be easy. A T-square, triangle or transparent grid overlay is going to be needed. And you may have to lightly tack the fabric down to a base with spray cement.

And then photograph it with a high-quality longer focal length macro lens. Do not use a zoom lens because of barrel or pin cushion distortion. And make sure you have even lighting on the swatch.

Or carefully place the mounted fabric on a scanner. But be careful that the fabric doesn’t move when you close the lid. Scan at a high resolution.

Neil
AB
Amanda_Brennan
Jan 13, 2009
Yes I scan material all the time.
Thanks Jim for the link that is exactly what I was looking for!
AB
Amanda_Brennan
Jan 13, 2009
Thank you Ann and Neil!
I do know how to rotate an image, sorry I should have been more descriptive in my orig message.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jan 13, 2009
Have any of you guys ever actually handled woven fabric or tried to make a garment from it — particularly a hand-woven plaid?!!

Actually yes, Ann. I’ve remodeled yachts which required upholstery skills among others, made and designed clothes as well. My suggestion of an adhesive was based on the concept of (of course ironing first… isn’t that self-evident?) a spray mastic which allows for a tack period during which it is adjustable. You then use a finger to adjust the pattern like a real world liquify. A readily commercially available mastic would be 3M Super 77.
B
Buko
Jan 13, 2009
Well OK I’ve never had to deal with plaid, the only fabric I’ve scanned was for speaker cabinets.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections