BD
Posted By
Bill_Davis_Jr
Dec 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I really did not know where to ask but I thought some here will have good advice.

I have been asked to do some photo restoration. My only problem is I do not own a scanner. Anyone know of some good models? Since I will rarely use it am not looking to buying a professional model.

All work will be done in Photoshop 7.

Thanks,

Bill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Dec 20, 2003
bill, i recently got a refurbed epson perfection 1260 photo for 39 bucks no tax or shipping from epson.com. it’s usb 1.1 and has 1200dpi optical resolution. check out their webside and look for specials, clearence or refurbs. great scans (negatives too) for the non professional.
GH
Gary_Hummell
Dec 20, 2003
The Epson and Microtek line are certainly competent. I use an Epson 1640 and it handles all of the photo restoration that I have tried to do. Getting a good scan is important and the technique is well described at:
<http://www.scantips.com/>
Even modest scanners can do a good job these days.

Gary
RH
r_harvey
Dec 21, 2003
I’m using an Epson 3170, which does 3200 d.p.i., and handles up to twelve negatives. Not bad for $200.
D
dpick
Dec 21, 2003
I, too, have a Epson 1640su. Works great for two years, now. Epson printers and scanners are hard to beat.
RL
Robert_Levine
Dec 21, 2003
I, too, have a Epson 1640su.

I, three. <g>

Great scanner for the money.

Bob
BD
Bill_Davis_Jr
Dec 21, 2003
Ok thanks all.

Bill
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2003
I’m using an Epson 3170, which does 3200 d.p.i., and handles up to twelve negatives. Not bad for $200.

funny thing is, that’s the one I went there to check out r_. i kinda stumbled into the clearence section and found the refurbs. I figured for 39 bucks, if it was a bust, so be it. turned out to be the best hardware deal i’ve gotten in years!
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 21, 2003
Well, I used to be an HP lover. However, I no longer care for thier scanners. Their software is a real drag (Doesn’t offer much in the way of features). My last scanner is an Epson with slide and film capabilities. I have been very happy with it and the software drivers for it have a great feature set.

Whatever you do don’t go for a cheap-o scanner. Cheap scanners are exactly that. You want a quality scanner with quality construction and quality drivers. This is a long term investment as even after the scanner is discontinued it is far from obsolete. Unlike most computer parts that seem to be obsolete before you can get them out of the box.

Just my 2 cents,

Robert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections