LO
Posted By
Luis ORTEGA
Apr 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone please advise me on why this might be happening? When I scan a photo into photoshop on one particular computer, no matter what scanning dpi I set in the scanner, when I check the image size in Photoshop, it says a resolution of 1 dpi and some huge number of inches, like 2000 by 1600.
On other computers in the same room, running the same windows xp and version of photoshop and using the same scanner, the same process will give me an image size of the same dpi as the scanner had set and the corect size of the scanned photo, such as 200 dpi and 8 by 10 inches.
I can’t figure this out. Could it be that the computer has a virus? Is there some setting in the scanner or in Photoshop that I am not setting correctly? Thanks for any advice.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
Jim
Apr 5, 2006
"Luis Ortega" wrote in message
Can anyone please advise me on why this might be happening? When I scan a photo into photoshop on one particular computer, no matter what scanning dpi I set in the scanner, when I check the image size in Photoshop, it says a resolution of 1 dpi and some huge number of inches, like 2000 by 1600.
On other computers in the same room, running the same windows xp and version of photoshop and using the same scanner, the same process will give me an image size of the same dpi as the scanner had set and the corect size of the scanned photo, such as 200 dpi and 8 by 10 inches. I can’t figure this out. Could it be that the computer has a virus? Is there some setting in the scanner or in Photoshop that I am not setting correctly?
Thanks for any advice.
This problem is most likely the result of an improper default image size in the particular Photoshop.
What you really have is an image that is 2000 by 1600 pixels, and the display dpi is set to 1.
Go to Image Size and reset the dpi but make sure that "resample image" is unchecked.
Jim
LO
Luis ORTEGA
Apr 5, 2006
Thanks, I understand this, and I do that after scanning a picture, but it keeps happening every time I scan a new image. Why is it choosing to default to such a useless combination after each scan? Have I set something wrong in some preference setting?

"Jim" wrote in message
On other computers in the same room, running the same windows xp and version of photoshop and using the same scanner, the same process will give me an image size of the same dpi as the scanner had set and the corect size of the scanned photo, such as 200 dpi and 8 by 10 inches. I can’t figure this out. Could it be that the computer has a virus? Is there some setting in the scanner or in Photoshop that I am not setting correctly?
Thanks for any advice.
This problem is most likely the result of an improper default image size in the particular Photoshop.
What you really have is an image that is 2000 by 1600 pixels, and the display dpi is set to 1.
Go to Image Size and reset the dpi but make sure that "resample image" is unchecked.
Jim
J
Jim
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks, I understand this, and I do that after scanning a picture, but it keeps happening every time I scan a new image. Why is it choosing to default to such a useless combination after each scan? Have I set something wrong in some preference setting?
I can’t answer the reason that the dpi sticks at 1. I would try deleting the preferences. That is where most of these settings get kept. Jim
"Jim" wrote in message
Thanks for any advice.
Jim

LO
Luis ORTEGA
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

"Jim" wrote in message
I can’t answer the reason that the dpi sticks at 1. I would try deleting the preferences. That is where most of these settings get kept. Jim
"Jim" wrote in message
Thanks for any advice.
Jim

LO
Luis ORTEGA
Apr 7, 2006
Jim, I deleted the preferences file and it seems to have cleared up the problem. Now the scans show the same resolution as they were scanned at. Thanks for your advice.

"Jim" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote in message
Thanks for any advice.
Jim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections