RS
Posted By
Richard_Straw
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using a Visoneer 9020 scanner and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, following Visioneer instructions for scanning a slide, I access Photoshop file dropdown, select Import and using Visioneer Scan Manager Pro, I set scan resolution to 2700 dpi (and set resolution on Photoshop to match), then do autoscan. As soon as the acquisition of the slide begins, the resolution drops to 100 dpi (ppi, if you prefer). Is there a solution?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 2, 2003
I just bought this scanner myself last weekend. I’m curious what the responses will be. (I just set mine up about an hour ago so I can’t help.)

wrote in message
Using a Visoneer 9020 scanner and Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, following
Visioneer instructions for scanning a slide, I access Photoshop file dropdown, select Import and using Visioneer Scan Manager Pro, I set scan resolution to 2700 dpi (and set resolution on Photoshop to match), then do autoscan. As soon as the acquisition of the slide begins, the resolution drops to 100 dpi (ppi, if you prefer). Is there a solution?
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 2, 2003
Does the scanning software by itself maintain the ppi you set if you take Elements out of the equation?

I’m not familiar with a method where you set one ppi in the scanner and again in Elements prior to a scan. Of course I use antique equipment! 🙂
EM
Elena_Murphy
Oct 2, 2003
Just a theory… it’s possible your attempted scan would yield results that are too big…depending on the dimensions of the original image. For example an 8×10 at that dpi would create a 1.63 gig file. You may not have enough ram, scratch disk, or whatever, to pull off your scan so the scanning software is dumping you back to it’s default value. I’m not sure how the slide part would factor into size because I haven’t used a slide scanner in a long time. I’m assuming the scan doesn’t result in a 1 inch square, but maybe I’m wrong. What are your output dimensions for width and height?
LM
Lou_M
Oct 2, 2003
Not having used Visioneer software, I’m just guessing here. But is there another button other than "Autoscan"? Just wondering if "Autoscan" uses defaults (e.g. 100ppi) and the "regular" scan button uses the settings you enter.

Or maybe not!
RS
Richard_Straw
Oct 3, 2003
I do not know.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 3, 2003
I wonder if the Visioneer’s 100 ppi scan setting is really only the "Preview" scan (done quickly at a low res, just as a reference point).
RS
Richard_Straw
Oct 3, 2003
Thanks to the ideas given me in several of your replies, for which I thank you very much, I have finally gotten a 6×4" print from a slide. My Visioneer 9020 comes with a mask into which the slide can be placed. I enter Photoshop Elements, set its resolution to 2700, click the file, then import, then Visioneer Scan Manager Pro. Then set its resolution to 2700 dpi, click scan size, add another size beyond those given – I used 2×2 inches, the size of the slide holder (to allow for horizontal or vertical orientation of the original), and click auto trim. I save this formula as "Slidescan." Then, click on Preview. The preview has the whole 8.5×11" mask, but allows (with the mouse arrow) reducing the size of the area to be scanned to the size of the mask (I guess it could be the slide image itself), then Scan. When complete, the image is transferred to Photoshop, where it can be manipulated as needed – I am not yet very good at that, but I did get a reasonable print. Also, remember to wipe the slide clean before starting – the dust motes shile like stars. Again, thanks to you all.
Dick
EM
Eric_Matthes
Oct 3, 2003
I use a Minolta DiMage with a resolution of 2820 dpi, and I can print high-quality 11×14’s and even get good results at 13×19. Are you planning to print bigger than 4×6?
RS
Richard_Straw
Oct 3, 2003
I do not plan to make pictures larger than 6×4 at this time. Thanks for response.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections