ML
Posted By
Marty Landolt
Jul 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My searches failed to help me with past messages on this subject. I have the HP 5470c Scanner. Suddenly I cannot get just the slides in my Scan. I get slides plus the perifial XPA.
Where it asks ‘What you want to scan’ I cannot get the part that includes SLIDES. Regular scans such as pictures do OK. I tried both the "Directer" and the PSE Windows "Connect to Scanner".
What have I missed doing?
Marty

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ray
Jul 17, 2003
Marty,

Try to scan with HP Precision Pro (the software that was shipped with the scanner) to see if it still offers this option. Make sure the XPA adapter (if it’s your case) is still connected firmly to the scanner.

Ray
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 17, 2003
RAY,
Yes, the connection is correct and tight.
Yes, I had tried via HP Precision Pro 3 and I also used the one listed as WIA – HP ….54…
I’ve lost track of all I tried but just in case, I think I’ll try reinstalling the software (after I go to a luncheon and shop…) I’m not off your back yet, Ray, see you later.
Marty
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 18, 2003
Marty,

When you scan with HP Pro, you need to tell it you’re scanning a slide (top right corner if I remember correctly). Done that ? Sorry if it’s obvious, but at times, I do make that mistake myself.

Ray
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 18, 2003
A little off topic.

In todays British Journal of Photography:

Braun is to introduce a slide scanner, the Paximat Multimag SlideScan 3600, which accepts six different
35mm transparency projector magazines, allowing rapid bulk scanning of collections of images.

This might be a solution for those who want to archive their family slides.

Leen
LK
Leen Koper
Jul 18, 2003
A little "Googling" learnt me that in the UK it will be about 699 GBp, so about US$ 1000 I suppose.

Leen
JC
Jane Carter
Jul 19, 2003
Remember that if you have a Nikon CP 990 or 950, that you can scan all your slides with the Happenstance $40 attachment using your Macro setting. It works wonders.
I will give you more info and examples if you have one of the above cameras. Jane
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 19, 2003
RAY,
Yes, going to the "Scan" at top Left was one of my mistakes but I uninstalled and reinstalled anyway. Thanks for your help.
This 5470c is much better than the 45…
I haven’t compared but doubt if they are nearly as good as the Projector’s view. LEEN,
No doubt that new scanner will be umteen dollars. I’ll pass most of the slides on to the kids and let them figure it out.
Hopefully, by that time the slide scanners will be priced better. Marty
O
OldnSenile
Jul 20, 2003
This is my first attempt to post in this forum, so I am not sure where it will appear in the list of messages. I am trying to post a reply to Jane Carter’s post about the Nikon slide copier attachment. (My experience is more in usenet newsgroups, where I have been viewing the forum messages.) I posted the following link, which I thought might be relevant, to the usenet group. Then I realized that those posts do not appear in the forum. Anyway, here is a web page of possible interest, with a quality comparison of some techniques to achieve a digital image of a slide:

< http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/slide-transfer.h tml>

OldnSenile
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 20, 2003
Congrats! It came up right where you wanted it!
ML
Marty Landolt
Jul 22, 2003
OLDN,
Thanks for the web address for comparing scanners for slides. I see that I have one of the lesser qualities…HP 5470c.
I’ll limit my slide work to only the best and most important then let the next generation use the "soon to be" much better scanners.
Hope you stay around this PSE forum!
Marty
MM
Mac McDougald
Jul 22, 2003
Those flatbed "specs" are formulated by the marketing departments, not engineering (as with all scanners). There is no industry standard for measuring dynamic range, dmax, dmin, etc.

While the Epson 2450/2400/3200 certainly are the leading flatbeds for film scanning, a 300 buck dedicated film scanner like the Minolta III will still put them to shame for 35mm.

For MF and larger film, they are the only practical solution however (and really do shine on the larger film sizes).

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections