DB
Posted By
doug_bibo
Sep 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to deal with a mixed platform classroom. Half XP64 PC’s and Half Leopard iMac’s (20" Wht). All machines are calibrated/profiled (as best I can with LCD’s) to the same standard (Wht pt, gamma, brightness), with the same new i1 system. All PS3 Color settings are the same(adobe1998). So why does a tagged (adobe 1998)jpg looks different between the iMac’s and the Wintel machines. The same image looks "a bit" darker and more saturated on the iMac’s. Shouldn’t the profiling take care of that? Or have I set something wrong? The Basic questions though are why? And How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Doug

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 20, 2008
Doug,

How are you calibrating? Which hardware or software? Which monitors? How are you looking at the .jpgs? What is the color setup of the software that you are using to view them?

Neil
GB
g_ballard
Sep 20, 2008
why does a tagged (adobe 1998)jpg looks different between the iMac’s
and the Wintel machines.

In Photoshop, if you honor the embedded profile, and have a difference between screens, at least one of your profiles are off.

This is because Photoshop will display the file faithfully (under the above circumstances) based on the monitor profile.

This is a very simple and clear fact…

In other words, if you build good profiles for your monitors, your monitors should look reasonably close…
DB
doug_bibo
Sep 22, 2008
Neil,
Sorry for the delay. I had to wait ’til i came in to work to double check on the monitore for the PC’s. They have Dell 2007WFPb monitors. Your other questions were answered in the original post. Calibrating using the Macbeth i1 system. Using Photoshop with a working space of adobe 1998.

Thanks,
Doug
DB
doug_bibo
Sep 22, 2008
g,
That’s my thinking too. I’ve re-done the calib/profile once – I’ll try it again.

Thanks,
Doug
GB
g_ballard
Sep 22, 2008
try setting sRGB as the default monitor profile in the problem machines (and forget about custom profiles for now)

any differences will point directly at the monitor hardware settings and/or how the software is set up

if you don’t understand my point let us know…
DB
doug_bibo
Sep 22, 2008
g,
While checking that, I found out that my classroom full of iMac’s aren’t using the profiles I made for them. They seem to have decided they prefer to use "iMac" rather than the nice one I did for them. Telling them to use the custom profile corrected everything. Now I need to figure out why they switched.

Thanks,
Doug
R
Ram
Sep 22, 2008
Now I need to figure out why they switched.

They must have listened to some dummy. 🙂
L
Lundberg02
Sep 22, 2008
Well, were they glossy iMacs?
DB
doug_bibo
Sep 23, 2008
Same thing on both the White Imac’s and the glossy aluminum ones. It must have been a union solidarity thing.
JP
jean_p
Sep 23, 2008
I’ve worked on classroom Macs that were restored to a default state every night.
DB
doug_bibo
Sep 23, 2008
Our OTS guys keep talking about going to that system, but we’ve been avoiding it.

Things seem to be holding today after I went in and manually set the default profile.

Another thought occurred to me. Our OTS guys have things set up so we have admin access and student access to each computer. The calib/profiling software is on the admin side so students don’t mess with it. Could that be an issue? It’s our first semester with Leopard. Could it be that Leopard simply requires me to manually set the profile after profiling?

Thanks
Doug
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Sep 24, 2008
I’ld make sure your custom profile is located in the folder directory MacintoshHD>Library>Colorsync>Profiles. This will allow all user’s access to this profile. If it isn’t located their, deselect it as your system profile first by choosing the canned iMac profile temporarily and then drag the custom profile over to the Profile folder indicated. Then reselect the custom profile in the Display system pref.

I’m going by Tiger directory structure so if it’s different for Leopard hopefully someone will correct me.

I’ve also read in a 2006 forum thread of an old bug in Tiger where, if you used fast user switching, the system would default to this canned iMac or Generic RGB profile both having 1.8 gamma making the screen quite brighter than the i1 2.2 gamma target. Don’t know if it was ever fixed and/or if this is your issue. I never use fast user switching.
DB
doug_bibo
Sep 24, 2008
Just checked. The system is still holding the profile after I set it manually. It is in that location. I didn’t know about fast user switching, but OTS and I are the only people who go in as anything other than "student". So far its looking like the manual selection is doing the trick, it just seems odd.

Thanks,
Doug
R
Ram
Sep 25, 2008
"OTS" ?? ???

Ofice of Thrift Supervision? Office of Traffic Safety? Organization for Tropical Studies?

Just Curious. CLICK HERE. < http://www.google.com/search?q=OTS&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 &aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=fire fox-a>
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 25, 2008
….Officers’ Training School. On the other hand, Georg Ots was an Estonian opera singer, proficient in six languages, as I recall…

Doug, just kidding you. But a few of us are a bit curious.

Neil <g>
DB
doug_bibo
Sep 26, 2008
I’m sorry. I forgot that not everyone has had the pleasure of working for that most bureaucratic of institutions known as a state school. We have cryptic little acronyms for just about everything. In this case OTS is "Office of Technical Services" AKA "the computer guys". As a lab mgr and photo instructor, I get to use the computers and deal with the day to day care and feeding, but they control the setup and do all the major repairs.

Hope that makes things less fuzzy.
Doug
L
Lundberg02
Sep 26, 2008
Our "OTS" made some "routine" firewall changes a month ago and now people from all over the f—— world are writing me saying they can’t access our system because their browser says our security certificate is invalid.
As my project pilot used to say, "I been in the Air Force 25 years and there are three things I never saw: An average pilot, routine maintenance, and the big picture".

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections