KG
Posted By
Kelly_Graham
Feb 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop CS2 9.0.2 on a G5 Dual 2.7 GHz OS 10.4.8 with 4 GB Ram.

I’m having an reoccuring problem with the stroke feature. I double click my layer, choose stroke and choose stroke size… all fine so far. The issue occurs when I change the Position from default outside to inside. No matter what size I set the stroke it doesn’t matter… the stroke completely fills the layer.

It happens off and on but it’s finally driving me nutty. I have a screen shot to show exactly what I’m talking about here:
<http://207.126.125.10/kellygt/stroke.jpg>

Any help would be appreciated : )

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 1, 2007
Very odd. Did you try trashing/resetting prefs as per the FAQs?
KG
Kelly_Graham
Feb 1, 2007
Yup… I’ve done that and it still doesn’t fix it.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 1, 2007
Possible re-install might be in order.
KG
Kelly_Graham
Feb 1, 2007
Oh dear… I was afraid someone would recommend that : )

Anyone heard of this issue? I can always create a stroke on a seperate layer but it’s sooooo much easier using the layer styles!

Odd thing is that it will eventually return to normal… without doing a reinstall of Photoshop.
B
Buko
Feb 1, 2007
Make a new user and see if you still have the problem
B
Buko
Feb 1, 2007
Does this happen if you make a brand new file? in the old user.
KG
Kelly_Graham
Feb 1, 2007
I have my applications running from an encryped disk image… because it’s a work machine but I own the software. So creating a new user doesn’t allow me to access that… at least it didn’t appear to let me as I quickly tried but I don’t know much about the users feature since I never need to use it.

It shouldn’t be an issue of it running from the disk image… it appeared even when I had Photoshop installed into the Applications folder on the HD.

It still happens even on a brand new file.
B
Buko
Feb 1, 2007
Well it works for me. without seeing if it works in a new user its hard to say what the problem is.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Feb 2, 2007
This may be a bit of a messed-up work-around, but a »technique: precise« »inner glow« (»blend mode: normal« and »opacity: 100%«) with customized »contour«-settings (input 49 – output 0, input 51 – output 100) seems to pretty much do the same thing.
The values have to be adjusted obviously.
One could save that as a layer-style and use in case of the error reappearing. Come to think of it: Does the error also happen when You apply the stroke from the style-palette?
S
Shep123
Feb 5, 2007
When I read this issue I was befuddled and had not run into the issue myself. Until this morning… Now I have been working on the same platform with the same installation of Photoshop for months now, nothing should have changed between when I read this question and now. Yet this morning while working on a design I ran into the same problem you are describing.

I was in disbelief, thinking what a horrible coincidence, but I may have figured out a solution or at least a path that you can follow to fix the issue. I was working on a layer that had a shape drawn on it (rounded rectangle with the ‘fill pixels’ option selected). I noticed after attempting to apply a stroke to it (and getting the results you described where the whole shape filled with the color) that it’s opacity (in the shape tool, not the layer or fill) was set to 60%. When I redrew the the shape on a different layer with the tools opacity set to 100% the problem went away. The stroke acted as it normally would. The layer fill and opacity don’t seem to have any effect on the style, but the tools opacity does. Hope this can help!

On Feb 1, 10:41 am, wrote:
Oh dear… I was afraid someone would recommend that : )
Anyone heard of this issue? I can always create a stroke on a seperate layer but it’s sooooo much easier using the layer styles!

Odd thing is that it will eventually return to normal… without doing a reinstall of Photoshop.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections