ET
Posted By
Eric_Thompson
Sep 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We use a specialized process that includes Channel operations to make separations for printing. When we use the same process that we have always used in any NEW photoshop, the value are completely different. This is best illustrated by opening a PS5 file and looking at the channels. we open the file in CS3 and look at the darkest value. we then they to fill an area of that same color in that channel and it is lighter, BUT CS3 says that it is the SAME value. we are blown away and cannot figure out what we are doing. We have tried color settings, everything. My boss even contacted Adobe tech support, had them recreate the problem and they say that they had no idea why it works like it does. I know that this is a long rambling post but if anyone has the slightest inkling of how to help i will accept any and all offers!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2008
How have you set your Color Settings in CS3? And how are you calibrating and profiling your monitors?

As far as I can remember, Photoshop 5 (or perhaps it was 5.5?) was the first version that attempted to address Color Management at all and that original approach has since been totally changed and updated.

I think that you will have to re-think your old methods completely and work-out a new algorithm for whatever it is that you are trying to do — but I suggest that you start by calibrating your monitors and choosing the correct Color Settings for the work that you are doing.
PF
Peter_Figen
Sep 19, 2008
Your Grayscale Settings in Color Settings control how the channels will appear when viewing them in Ps. If you use exactly the same settings, for instance, Dot Gain 20 percent, you should have a very similar look. If the Grayscale settings are using the exact same parameters, and you are using the same monitor calibration and profile for both versions, they should look the same.

For the record, v5 was the first version to use RGB working spaces along with monitor profiles, but you could use Colorsync CMYK profiles and custom monitor calibration in earlier versions.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2008
I am fairly certain that the way that Dot Gain was calculated or applied was also changed at some stage in the evolution of Photoshop?
ET
Eric_Thompson
Sep 19, 2008
Ann, Thanks for the info! i really appreciate it but the problem is Post-PS6 everything works fine actually until they went to PS7, then it broke.

Peter,
thanks also for the info. i have tried messing around with the grey files and it doesn’t make sense to me. i have tried adjusting them and turning them off completely and cannot get the settings to be the same as they are in PS5. If you are ever bored and have access to PS6 or below i can send you the instructions so that you can test it and SEE what i am talking about.
Thanks again for your help i really appreciate it!
B
Buko
Sep 19, 2008
Post-PS6 everything works fine actually until they went to PS7, then it broke.

Well It depends how you look at it I suppose. Many would say it got fixed in version 7. This is the problem with hanging on to and using ancient software.
ET
Eric_Thompson
Sep 19, 2008
Buko, agree that many would say that things were fixed in later versions. This however is not one of them for us. I would MUCH rather do this process in CS3. I can’t however because it does not work properly. That is the only reason that i am hanging on to that particular ancient piece of software and the old G3 to run it. as it is right now i have to switch back and forth between two machines. i guess i am not sure what your post was about? Thanks anyway!
B
Buko
Sep 19, 2008
I guess i am not sure what your post was about?

If you are in the business of imaging its best to stay current.
ET
Eric_Thompson
Sep 19, 2008
Buko, am not sure that you understand what i am talking about. i have a situation that is forcing me to use old software, not because i WANT to but because the new software does not work correctly for the task at hand. Staying current is not the issue. staying current breaks the process.
R
Ram
Sep 19, 2008
Eric,

Starting a line with a lowercase i forces italics (and loses the i), making your posts hard to read.
ET
Eric_Thompson
Sep 19, 2008
Thank you Ramón! I was wondering why that was happening! I will make sure to not let that happen. Thanks again!
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 19, 2008
Eric,

I fixed two of your posts.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections