Posted By
Cayce
Jun 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, Forum:

I’m in a spot here where deadline and location are keeping me from researching this on my own. Hoping for some help.

I’ve got a fairly complex CMYK PSD file that going to separate in such a way that I need all the black in the image to be merged into one layer and its CMYK value merged to the black channel only. Is there a way to do this and still have it as in editable layers?

Thanks.

Cayce

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 10, 2004
no
PC
Paul_Cutler
Jun 10, 2004
If you could find a way to accurately select the blacks in each layer you could put up a new layer and fill it with 0 0 0 100 and then delete the rich black from the layer as you go. It’s a pretty difficult task getting the selections to be accurate, but if there is enough difference between the black and the other color values it can be done with a lot of work and patience. GOOD LUCK!
peace
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 10, 2004
If I understand correctly, this is simple (but I cannot see the reason for it). Flatten image, change mode to Lab, select all, copy the first channel, go back in history to the state before flattening, make a new layer (on top), go to the Black channel (command+4) and paste.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 10, 2004
editable is the key operative word.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 10, 2004
The new layer will not reduce anyone’s ability to edit (by force or voodoo).
C
Cayce
Jun 11, 2004
Hi, Laurentiu;

The need for this is that I have a scanned image that came in as CMYK but needs to print as two spot colors. I don’t have a lot of experience with lab color mode, but when I went through your process, the first channel can’t be isolated from the rest. I get 4 channels: Lab, Lightness, A & B. The "lab" Channel seems to be linked to the others.

Sorry to bug you with this, but I’m still stumped. Could learn something if I’m not careful.

Thankss,

Cayce
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 11, 2004
Lab has 3 channels,.. but now I know that I didn’t understand you correctly and you need two colors.
You should save your layered file as a "master" in which you may want to further edit the shape later.
I’d flatten a copy and edit two of the CMYK channels to get them to look (individually) like the final spot channels needed, copy and paste in new channels designated as spots, delete the contents of the CMYK channels and save as DCS2.

It would help to see the image for further advice.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections