DA
Posted By
dario adamic
Sep 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to know what the difference between 8 bits/channel and 16 bits/channel in the grayscale mode is? I’m scanning some images and when I try to use the paintbrush to correct some marks it tells me to convert them to the 8 bits/channel mode (from the 16 bits/channel) because otherwise the brush tool doesn’t work. What’s the difference between two modes? Does it reflect on the quality of the image? I need these scans for an art book, so I’m really concerned about the quality. Anyone?
thanx a lot!

adam

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
Sep 15, 2003
Adam,

Your images will have to be converted to 8-bit at some point – 16-bit/channel images cannot be printed, and can record many 100’s of times more tones than can either be printed or recognized by the human eye. In the case of a greyscale print, a 16-bit image will carry 65536 levels of black, but printing as greyscale only 256 levels are available. A 16-bit file is actually displayed at 8-bit on your monitor, so you will not see a difference within Photoshop.

B&W art printing typically uses duotomes rathr than straight greyscale as this allows a better density in the shadow areas and an increased range of tones.

The ‘normal’ sequence is to scan at 16-bit, do level and curve adjustments and then convert to 8-bit for furthr manipulation. Rumour has it that the soon_to_be_released Version 8 will allow for much more to be done in 16-bit
DA
dario adamic
Sep 15, 2003
Thanx a lot! That was really a great and detailed answer. Much appreciated!

adam
RH
r_harvey
Sep 16, 2003
There’s also a good thread on the Mac side about 8-bit Versus 16-bit <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.2ccd6ed3/16>.
L
LenHewitt
Sep 16, 2003
You’re welcome, Adam

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections