WP
Posted By
Wesley_P_Johnson
Dec 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m relatively new to Photoshop, so I’m not all too familiar with the potential mistakes I’m making. Here’s the issue.

I’m creating a multi-channel format image made with two spot channels. However, my "layers" tab shows only one of the two channels, and is also impossible to edit (it shows the lock, and refuses to allow any access to the layer itself). Also, I want to save my file as a .EPS, but this is also not allowed. What’ve I done wrong?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JS
John_Slate
Dec 12, 2006
Spot channels do not exist on layers, only as channels, so you can’t add layers in multichannel mode.

In multichannel mode, only the channel that appears at the top of the channels palette appears in the layers palette, not that it is of any use.

If you had a CMYK or RGB or grayscale file with spot channels added on you could add layers, but they would only apply to the CMYK or RGB or grayscale.

However you can use layers to achieve effects in the composite part of the file, then copy/paste from one of the composite channels into your spot channel.

Hopefully future versions of Photoshop will have support for layers in spot channels.
WP
Wesley_P_Johnson
Dec 12, 2006
Alright, that clears up the layer thing. What about saving it as a DCS? Why can’t I do that?
JS
John_Slate
Dec 12, 2006
I can’t imagine.

What formats are available?

PS: What version are you using?
WP
Wesley_P_Johnson
Dec 12, 2006
Available are Photoshop, Large Doc Format, and Photoshop Raw. For now I’m using the trial. Is that the problem?
B
Buko
Dec 12, 2006
Did you remove the application from the folder?
WP
Wesley_P_Johnson
Dec 12, 2006
Nope. I had CS2 in there originally, but it crashed on me, and refused to start up. And until I get my installation discs back, I’m using the trial version. I simply deleted the old Photoshop folder and let the trial replace it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 13, 2006
Are you certain that you don’t also have "Photoshop DCS2" available to you? (It comes at the bottom of the Save As list.)
JS
John_Slate
Dec 13, 2006
until I get my installation discs back

bad implications there.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections