JO
Posted By
janice_owens
Apr 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can Elements help tone down the yellow color of someone’s teeth in a close up shot without changing the color of the entire picture?

Janipani

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 23, 2004
Yup. Pretty easy.

I don’t know how familiar you are with using Elements, but basically, you use one of the selection tools to select the teeth. The magic wand may work best, but sometimes it’s worth trying several different selection methods. The selection brush may work well too, assuming you have Elements 2.

After selecting the teeth, there are several ways to lighten them. I usually find that the dodge tool does this best.

Hope this helps. I’m sure someone will be along and explain it better than I can.

Dan
J
jhjl1
Apr 23, 2004
Yes. There are several ways to do this. You can carefully use the sponge tool set to desaturate and go over the teeth. You can make a selection of the teeth and use the Hue/Saturation adjustment with edit set to yellows. I’m sure there are other ways as well.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Can Elements help tone down the yellow color of someone’s teeth in a
close up shot without changing the color of the entire picture?
Janipani
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 23, 2004
Try one or two quick swipes with the Sponge tool set to desaturate and flow set to maybe 30%. Careful, though–too much and you’ll have gray teeth instead.

Oops, you beat me to it, James.
NS
Nancy_S
Apr 23, 2004
Janice,

Try using the lasso tool with a small feather to select only the teeth. At the bottom of the Layers Palette click the blk/white symbol and choose Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer. Move the slider for Sat. to the left to suit.
J
jhjl1
Apr 23, 2004
I knew there had to be some other ways, I haven’t tried this one yet. Thanks for the tip.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Yup. Pretty easy.

I don’t know how familiar you are with using Elements, but basically,
you use one of the selection tools to select the teeth. The magic wand may work best, but sometimes it’s worth trying several different selection methods. The selection brush may work well too, assuming you have Elements 2.
After selecting the teeth, there are several ways to lighten them. I
usually find that the dodge tool does this best.
Hope this helps. I’m sure someone will be along and explain it better
than I can.
Dan
MR
Mark_Reibman
Apr 23, 2004
Whatever technique you use, zoom in.
NS
Nancy_S
Apr 23, 2004
Mark,

Good point…WAY in.
F
flddb
Apr 23, 2004
You’ve gotten good advice on the techniques available in PSE (I certainly can’t add to what’s already posted), so you should be on your way. Just be careful not to overdo it. If the teeth are too white, everyone who knows the person in the picture will see nothing but those teeth.

Bob in Las Vegas
TF
Terri_Foster
Apr 23, 2004
I use a similar technique to Nancy only when I do the Hue Saturation Layer I flip over to the Yellows and move the lightness slider. I find that if I get a little gum in my selection it’s not obvious since only the yellows are being changed instead of Master which will affect all pixels.

Terri
MR
Mark_Reibman
Apr 23, 2004
One thing that needs to be emphasized is using a ‘light touch’. That’s why whitening teeth on it’s own layer is beneficial as you can adjust the opacity of your work. I’ve found from experience that it can easily look pretty weird and unnatural.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Apr 23, 2004
After selecting the teeth, try creating an adjustment layer. If the selection is active you will automatically create a layer mask that you can tweak by selecting the mask and using the paint brush to add or subtract from the mask.

You might also try levels instead of a hue/sat adjustment. A click on the teeth with the white point eyedropper can do a great job of cleaning up a yellow smile.

Rich

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections