ES
Posted By
Erwin_Straehley
Dec 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A member of my camera club contacted me, as he had heard that I could fix computer problems. He

had Photoshop CS2, which was working OK until he installed Monaco EZ Color 1.5. After this

instillation all the images he tried to work on in Photoshop showed up in incorrect colors. His

thumbnails were correct, colors were correct in other (non-Adobe) programs, but Photoshop colors

were incorrect. As an example, see the Courthouse correctly here at this URL (

href="http://straehle.smugmug.com/photos/116473362-S.jpg">

<http://straehle.smugmug.com/photos/116473362-S.jpg> ), and incorrectly at

href="http://straehle.smugmug.com/photos/116473370-S.jpg">

<http://straehle.smugmug.com/photos/116473370-S.jpg> /a> .

I went to his house and checked all the color settings. If View Proof Colors were checked, then

the image would render properly. We uninstalled the Monaco EZ Color which did not correct the

problem. I looked at the photos in Bridge and both the thumbnails and the preview were incorrect.

He had a copy of PS Elements on his machine and it showed the incorrect colors. I advised him to

uninstall both Photoshop and Elements and reinstall only Photoshop.

He did that after I left and reported no change. I returned to capture these images to use here.

The problem had not changed. These examples were taken as screen captures as that was the only way

to depict the color change correctly. Note that the Navigator image of the correct picture depicts

the false colors also.

I have changed all the color management controls that I am aware of to no effect. It appears that

either some setting in Photoshop is incorrect or that some file has been corrupted. I came to the

latter conclusion after seeing the problem in Bridge and Elements as well as CS2. If anyone has

any ideas or something I could try, I’d be most appreciative.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AC
Art Campbell
Dec 14, 2006
Because the colors are weird in PS and PS is the only color managed ap, it sounds as if PS is looking at a profile that isn’t being read by other applications. Did you poke around C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color to see if there were any rogue / orphan profiles left behind after the uninstalls?

Also, if it’s an XP system, you may want to download/install the Color Control Applet from MS; it makes poking around the profiles much easier.

Art
ES
Erwin_Straehley
Dec 14, 2006
Art
thanks for the suggestions. Since it isn’t on my computer, I need to collect a few and then go over to the guy’s house to try them out, but I’ll try yours.
KV
Klaas Visser
Dec 14, 2006
Also, make sure that Adobe Gamma was been disabled before the Ez Color calibration was carried out.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 15, 2006
It means that his monitor profile was bad.

And he should check for updates to EZColor.
ES
Erwin_Straehley
Dec 21, 2006
Klaas
Your message led me to the solution to the problem. After everything else, I decided to see if disabling the Gamma would help. I opened the Gamma applet, looking for a disable switch, but couldn’t find one. However, I noticed that the Phosphor dropdown was set to HDTV, which didn’t seem right. I looked at the dropdown and thought that Trinitron was a better setting. Saved the new Gamma settings and the problem was solved.
Thanks
KV
Klaas Visser
Dec 21, 2006
Erwin,

Glad it’s all solved.

For future reference, "disabling" Adobe Gamma is done by removing the Adobe Gamma loader item from your startup menu in Windows. This stops Adobe Gamma from loading itself, and applying the profile.

You normally do this when you are using some other calibration tool, as it will set it’s own profile and startup routine.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections