compensating for color distortion caused by cataracts.

M
Posted By
Marc
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have noticed lately that I perceive colors others tell me are neutral gray as light olive green. My Optometrist tells me that is caused by cataracts that are just beginning to appear.

I want to know if there is some way to compensate in Photoshop. Can I apply some filter that will compensate by "subtracting" the green that my cataracts are imposing on what I see.

My concern is that I will try to remove the apparent green from what is really a neutral gray and actually end up turning it red or something like that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Samuel Johnson "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
George Bernard Shaw

Marc

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mike Russell
Jan 10, 2004
Marc wrote:
I have noticed lately that I perceive colors others tell me are neutral gray as light olive green. My Optometrist tells me that is caused by cataracts that are just beginning to appear.

I want to know if there is some way to compensate in Photoshop. Can I apply some filter that will compensate by "subtracting" the green that my cataracts are imposing on what I see.

My concern is that I will try to remove the apparent green from what is really a neutral gray and actually end up turning it red or something like that.

Certainly you can compensate using Adobe Gamma – set the sliders until the gray areas look neutral and you’re set.

But there is a better way to recognize and correct color casts. Whether your vision has a color bias or not, is to use the info palette to recognize a neutral gray area – use curves to set R, G, and B equal for a known neutral object in your image, and you’re there.

The curvemeister plugin also has a smarter neutral setting feature that may be of interest.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
B
Bobs
Jan 10, 2004
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:00:08 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

Marc wrote:

Certainly you can compensate using Adobe Gamma – set the sliders until the gray areas look neutral and you’re set.

But there is a better way to recognize and correct color casts. Whether your vision has a color bias or not, is to use the info palette to recognize a neutral gray area – use curves to set R, G, and B equal for a known neutral object in your image, and you’re there.

The curvemeister plugin also has a smarter neutral setting feature that may be of interest.

As a starting point you could set your desktop to 128, 128, 128. Checking mine with a color densitometer there’s only a very slight correction from this required to measure a "perfect" neutral grey. There’s also a handy plugin, Vivid Details’ "Test Strip" that I use frequently to make assessments of hue. You might want to have handy a reference image that can be depended on to provide an accurately color-balanced image, and make your judgments about hue based on that.

Here is a reference image that might prove handy (get the "Violin Portrait").
http://www.dtgweb.com/downloads/

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections