Levels causes color to appear in highlights.

BG
Posted By
Bill_govier
Nov 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any ideas on why I get color, usually a bright magenta, in the highlights only? It is not a color cast but a splotch, (is that a word?). I have noticed it in Adobe 7 and CS. These are files from a Canon 10D. I have never seen them from my Nikon D100.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Nov 13, 2003
Patient: Doc, it really stings when I put my index finger in my ear up to the knuckle.

Doctor: Don’t do that!
JH
Jake_Hannam
Nov 14, 2003
Yes, I have noticed it with CS (never with 7.0). I only have a lowly Nikon 990. If I do levels once on a file, all is cool. But if I try to do levels a second time, I get magenta or green noise (huge pixels) or splotches as Bill noted. Not cool.

I’m sure Adobe has already identified the problem and will patch it.

Dave: I don’t understand your post. Is that an inside joke?

Jake
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 14, 2003
I don’t understand your post. Is that an inside joke?

No. More of a faulty parable. It’s probably blowing out the hilights in one or more channels when he goes too high. The answer should be "don’t go that high with the levels". Shortened to "don’t do that!" Sorry. 🙁
JH
Jake_Hannam
Nov 14, 2003
Got it. As far as going too high, I never noticed it in 7.0 but have definitely noticed it several times with CS. And I’m talking about minor tweaks … nothing drastic. I don’t think that should be happening.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 14, 2003
Jake – we can’t find any such problem, and without a lot of details, I doubt that anyone is going to be able to reproduce the problem.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Nov 14, 2003
Chris,

I will try to reproduce it and report back tomorrow or Saturday. It might have been operator head space …

Unfortunately, when I noticed the pixelation, I just cancelled the operation. And I can’t remember which file I was working on!

Jake
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 14, 2003
Jake, or bill, I have cs, do you want to send me a file and some paramaters that "blow it out"? I’d be happy to test it for you – but I wouldn’t be able to do it until tomorrow night after 3:30pm est, if that’s ok. i’m goin’ ta bed! 🙂 try not to send one too big if you do, no more than say 5 meg. send to dmilbut AT optonline DOT net.
JH
Jake_Hannam
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks, Dave. We just had another cross-post. Right now, I don’t remember which file(s) I noted the problem with. If I find it, I will try to reproduce it and if I can, I will send it to you to see if you can reproduce it too.

Jake

I gotta go to bed too.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 14, 2003
yawn… i’m a’goin’! 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections