Channels combine additively, while layers . . . . .

MX
Posted By
michael_x_barrett
Dec 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Channels combine additively, while layers combine subtractively (in normal mode). Is this true?

I appreciate that channels and layers have different intents and applications. However as part of trying to understand the differences between channels and layers, I attempted to simulate channels, and their functions, in Photoshop Elements, by using layers. Not sensible, I realize but I’m a curious sort of person. Anyway, for a given image, it is easy to create layers in PSE that look just like the R, G and B channels in PS.

But when trying to combine the R, G and B layers in PSE (using "normal"mode) it clearly doesn’t "work". My tentative conclusion is that channels (in PS) combine additively while layers (in PSE) combine subtractively.

Am I right or just confused? Any words or links to educate me or clarify my thinking will be appreciated.

mbarrett

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Dec 7, 2006
Set your layers to screen mode.

Your background should be black
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 7, 2006
I’d address Elements questions to the Elements forum. But I know there is add-on software (or something) you can get to simulate Channels, Curves and CMYK in Elements.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 8, 2006
No, normal mode is not subtractive in any way.
Normal mode is a simple linear interpolation.

And channels combine additively or subtractive in the channel mixer (otherwise you only combine them as RGB, CMYK, or LAB and they’re always orthoginal values).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections