NA
Posted By
norman_annis
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I run Photoshop Elements and a Epson 2200. I use the mat black and light black inks. Using the Epson profile for enhanced mat paper I get beautiful black and white prints. However I bought some Epson Watercolor Paper and using the same image which gave me great result with the mat paper and corresponding profile, the results are terrible when I change to the Epson watercolor profile. The image washes out with a very strong green cast. I spent 1 1/2 hours talking to Epson running around in circles discussing the most basic issues. Was I using Epson Ink? Epson paper? etc. They couldn’t solve the problem and suggested it might be a Photoshop problem. Anybody had a similar problem or any ideas? Thanks in advance. Norm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 7, 2004
Norm,

Epson has some new profiles for the 2200, watercolor is included. There is also a pdf called ‘Color Management Workflow’ you can download, talks about red & green color casts. I’d link you to it but the session links at Epson always expire.

I had a similar problem with my 2200 with matte paper & matte black inks, my black & white prints had a very stong green cast. Found out that I didn’t have ‘Full Color management-Optimized for Print’ selected from the Photoshop Elements–>Color Settings options. As soon as I changed that and embedded an Adobe RGB (1998) profile in the psd, from File–>Save as, the green was gone. 🙂 Also, Epson says never to print from an Untagged file, unreliable results will occur. I’m still trying to figure out this printer and all the options.
I do have some watercolor paper and will try printing a black & white print with it tomorrow. I am running a Mac, so I don’t know if there will be any difference. I’m still not sure whether to use Color Sync with these profiles or not? Too many choices, I can never remember exactly what I did when it does work, I’m not big into the technical side of things to begin with! 😉 I’ll report back tomorrow on my results.

Wish they had an Epson 2200 forum like the one we have here! Always very helpful people only seconds away.

Barb
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 8, 2004
Norm,

One more thing about the Epson watercolor paper. The correct side to print on is the ‘Whiter Smoother Side’, this could be the cause of the image washing out. I was tempted to print on the rough side when I first saw it.

Barb
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Apr 8, 2004
Barb

I had a similar dilema with my Canon i950 ptr running osx 10.3.3

I calibrated my monitor but the prints didn’t come out the same color as my monitor until I Saved As ColorMatchRGB instead of AdobeRGB. This might not be ‘correct’, but at least when I edit a photo, it looks the same (ie very close) on my monitor as it does on my printer, and I will stick with that for now.

Cliff
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 9, 2004
Cliff,

That’s great you’ve found a solution for your printer and images. Whatever works is the way to go; I don’t get too hung up on the ‘correct’ way to do things. I’ve been getting some rather odd results with some of the printer profiles, lots of experimenting to do…!

Barb
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 9, 2004
Norm,

I’m afraid my results were terrible with the watercolor paper & its profile too, mine turned out with a horrible red cast. What works best for me and reproduces my images as they were shot, along with how they appear on my LCD is this:

In Elements Print Preview:

Color Management:

Source Space:
Document Source Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

Print Space:
Profile: Same As Source

I think some of those profiles were created to waste paper & ink! Some work, some don’t. The fact that Epson offers no support on the new profiles I downloaded this week speaks volumes.

Barb
NA
norman_annis
Apr 9, 2004
Thank you for the help qnd suggestions. Norm

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections