tileing to make a larger than life picture (poster)

NB
Posted By
Nick_Brajevich
Apr 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I print a larger than life poster with a regular printer?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Do you have an option for tiling in your printer software? If not, the workaround would be to break your image into smaller pieces and print them on as many 8 1/2 X 11 sheets as necessary and tape them together. If you decide to try this, remember to leave a little overlap so the pages will go together more neatly. Depending on the size you want, it might be easier to just take the image file somewhere like Walgreens and get a big one made by them, although I don’t know how big they’ll do. Costco, for example, will print a 12 X 18 for $2.99, but you might have something bigger in mind.
NB
Nick_Brajevich
Apr 4, 2004
Thanks Beth I am not sure if there is the option of tileing in my printers. I am tring to make a life size poster of my father, Can you tell me how to segment the picture to print on many sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 ?
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Actually before we go too far, why don’t you post the brand and model printer you’re using and the platform and operating system you run. Let’s see if we can get lucky and find someone else on the forum who uses the same/similar equipment. It could be you can accomplish this without having to resort to breaking it into small pieces manually. However…

First determine the overall finished size of the image. Then get out your calculator and figure out how many sheets it will take to get the whole thing printed. You’ll also need to know if your printer will do a full 8 1/2 X 11 picture or if you need to make the pieces a little smaller to account for a no-print zone.

OK, so I just did some math. Let’s say the finished size is 3′ wide and 6′ tall. It’ll take five sheets to print the width, and then it will take seven sheets to get the full length. (I was figuring printing in portrait mode.) That means breaking the image into 35 pieces. That’ll be quite a task! Are you sure you want to do this?! Each image segment would have to be about 8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long (which will give some overlap.) To chop I’d suggest first making sure you have the ruler showing (View>Ruler), and then select the Rectangular Marquee tool. In the Option Bar, choose Fixed Size and type in the dimensions you want each piece to be. Now, making use of the ruler, start making selections. Oh, I forgot one detail. You’ll have to be working on duplicates of this main image, because doing what I’m suggesting will require making 35 separate image files.

So, make a duplicate (Image>Duplicate Image), select an 8 X 10.5 section from the upper left corner of the COPY and then go to Image>Crop. That’s section one. Now make another duplicate and do a second selection just to the right of the first one. And so on ad nauseum until you get all 35 made! Now I’ll repeat the question: Are you sure you want to do this?! 🙂
MP
Molly_Pollard
Apr 4, 2004
Hi Nick,

I’ve downloaded Poster 7.9 from this site: <http://www.postersw.com/>. I haven’t actually tried it yet, though. It’s shareware. You can make and print 10 posters for free, then there is an $18 registration fee. They also have info on the settings for several different printers. Again, I haven’t used it so I can’t give any first hand recommendations, but check out the website. I hope it works, whatever you decide to use.

Molly
(New Elements user and Lurker Extraordinaire.) 🙂
J
jhjl1
Apr 4, 2004
Hello Molly and welcome to the forum.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message >
Molly
(New Elements user and Lurker Extraordinaire.) 🙂
MP
Molly_Pollard
Apr 4, 2004
Thanks for the welcome James. 🙂 I just realized Poster doesn’t exist in a Mac version. I know there are a lot of Mac users on this forum. Sorry guys. 🙁

Molly
LK
Leen_Koper
Apr 4, 2004
Another, easier way is to find someone with a large format printer like the Epson 7600. This printer prints at 24" wide and I don’t suppose your father is that big he wouldnot fit. 😉

Leen
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 4, 2004
Hi Molly,

Welcome to the forum … lets hope that you will now become an "Answerer Extraordinaire" 🙂

PS … I lurked for ages !

Wendy
NB
Nick_Brajevich
Apr 5, 2004
THANKS TO ALL I think you have given me some great help. this is my first time on the forum and I like the way people help people. I am new to Photo Shop Elements and have taken a class at the local adult school but I think this forum is going to be more help than the class.
MP
Molly_Pollard
Apr 5, 2004
Thanks Wendy. 🙂 I’m not so sure about being an "Answerer Extraordinaire", though. I think it’s going to take me awhile before I know what the heck I’m doing with this program. So many of you on this forum seem to be able to figure out just about anything. -sigh- I think I’ll go and lurk for a bit longer. 😉

Best wishes,

Molly
MM
Michael_Moody
Apr 5, 2004
Is this the Nick Brajevich that lives, or used to live in San Pedro?

If so, cacosi?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 5, 2004
Molly,

You will get there … just ask as many questions as you need to. We all have done that … twelve months ago I knew nothing at all about Elements. 🙂

So don’t lurk … ask away … its the best way to learn.

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections