K
Posted By
krstone
Apr 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If people in the foreground appear dark because of light sky in the background then I understand that the Fill Flash feature can be used to lighten the people. After selecting the people, what would be the difference between lightening them with the Fill Flash command or using the Brightness slide control?

thanks
ken

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DN
DS_Nelson
Apr 3, 2004
You shouldn’t really have to select anything with fill flash, at least I don’t. The difference between the two tools is, brightness brightens everything equally, while fill flash primarily lightens the shadows and darker areas, and has less effect on the already light areas.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Apr 4, 2004
KR,
I don’t find the fill flash all that useful. However, there is a technique which allows you control over foreground and background with more precision:
1.Select foreground (say person on beach) with lasso and feather 5-15 pixels
2. Create levels adjustment layer #1 by clicking on icon lower left of the layers palette and selecting "levels"
3. Press CTRL on keyboard and with mouse click on the right icon in the levels adjustment layer #1 in the layers palette
4. Select original image in layers palette
5. Go to Select>Inverse
6. Create levels adjustment layer #2, as described in step 2 above
7. Now you can make adjustments to the foreground and background individually. Just double click the left icon in the respective adjustment layer and utilize the levels sliders as usual.
Hope this helps.
Ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections