LP
Posted By
Larry Preuss
May 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working my way through Scott Kelby’s ‘The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers,’ have arrived at pages 65-66, and have a conceptual problem. He has started with a photo that is too dark, has copied the background layer and lightened that duplicate layer using levels. In order to be more selective in the area lightened he has added a new layer. This ends up between the background (on the bottom) and its copy (on top). He has then grouped the copy with the new layer just below it and the lightening on the copy has been masked.

So far I have done fairly well, accepting that a grouped new layer carries a mask, though I don’t know why it needs to be grouped to demonstrate that property. Selecting the new layer and painting with a brush reveals the lightening he has produced on the copy layer. My problem is with understanding why it makes no difference to the result whether he brushes with a black or a white foreground selected.

Larry

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JW
JP White
May 4, 2004
Larry Preuss wrote:

First problem. This newsgroup is a mirror of a Forum at http://www.adobeforums.com. Posts here do not get posted back to the web forum. 99% of posters post to the web forum because of this. Your question has not been seen except for a few of us that prefer to use a newsgroup reader to read posts.

I am working my way through Scott Kelby’s ‘The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers,’ have arrived at pages 65-66, and have a conceptual problem. He has started with a photo that is too dark, has copied the background layer and lightened that duplicate layer using levels. In order to be more selective in the area lightened he has added a new layer. This ends up between the background (on the bottom) and its copy (on top). He has then grouped the copy with the new layer just below it and the lightening on the copy has been masked.

So far I have done fairly well, accepting that a grouped new layer carries a mask, though I don’t know why it needs to be grouped to demonstrate that property. Selecting the new layer and painting with a brush reveals the lightening he has produced on the copy layer. My problem is with understanding why it makes no difference to the result whether he brushes with a black or a white foreground selected.

Larry

Second Problem. I don’t have this book, but I do have Scott’s book for PS7. The tool he uses there to achieve the same end is the history brush tool. Since elements lacks that tool, he must have come up with a way to emulate it’s work. I too am confused why white or black foreground do not matter, the mask will be one or the other. Are you meant to ‘paint’ with the eraser tool to remove the mask?

Because I don’t have the book and have the same problem understanding the concept, I suggest you repost to the web forum. Hopefully some knowledgeable person will put you straight.

JP
RH
Rick Hughes
May 4, 2004
Larry,
When a layer is grouped like that anything painted on mask layer allows the other layer to show through. It’s not really a mask like you have in an adjustment layer.

To get a real mask group an adjustment layer but make no adjustments. Then you can paint on the mask layer as usual.

Rick

"Larry Preuss" wrote in message
I am working my way through Scott Kelby’s ‘The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers,’ have arrived at pages 65-66, and have a conceptual problem. He has started with a photo that is too dark, has copied the background layer and lightened that duplicate layer using levels. In order to be more selective in the area lightened he has added a new layer. This ends up between the background (on the bottom) and its copy (on top). He
has
then grouped the copy with the new layer just below it and the lightening
on
the copy has been masked.

So far I have done fairly well, accepting that a grouped new layer carries
a
mask, though I don’t know why it needs to be grouped to demonstrate that property. Selecting the new layer and painting with a brush reveals the lightening he has produced on the copy layer. My problem is with understanding why it makes no difference to the result whether he brushes with a black or a white foreground selected.

Larry
LP
Larry Preuss
May 4, 2004
in article 6MClc.56147$, JP White at
wrote on 5/3/04 9:59 PM:

Larry Preuss wrote:

First problem. This newsgroup is a mirror of a Forum at
http://www.adobeforums.com. Posts here do not get posted back to the web forum. 99% of posters post to the web forum because of this. Your question has not been seen except for a few of us that prefer to use a newsgroup reader to read posts.
Thank you for the response. I go so far back in Usenet that I was looking for answers in these groups before forums were a going thing, and I guess I am just having a hard time adjusting. I will give your suggestion a chance. Larry

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections