Kingdom
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there an FAQ for the group?
Does it ever get posted here?

I understand their is a high resistance to binary posts in this group, although binary posts are acceptable to the server.

Considering that in many cases simply publishing an image could help explain/show a problem/example.

Is their any valid reason for not wanting images posted to this group?

Now that Broadband is most definatly here download time realy isn’t an issue. Neither is filling the server if it were ‘restricted’ to images only, no applications or utilities etc.

Currently the group Alt.binaries.pictures.utilities is a group specificaly for any and all things related to pictures including pictures so anyone wishing to post images or anything else should post to that group and let everyone here know the subject line of their post.

Just some of my thoughts that you may care to comment on.

All extremists should be taken out and shot!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MS
M S Baker
Feb 26, 2004
I’m new here, so can’t address any point but the one about Broadband being here. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to broadband. Some of us live in the "Boonies" and are still stuck in the dark ages so download time is an issue.

"Kingdom" wrote in message

I understand their is a high resistance to binary posts in this group, although binary posts are acceptable to the server.

Considering that in many cases simply publishing an image could help explain/show a problem/example.

Now that Broadband is most definatly here download time realy isn’t an issue. Neither is filling the server if it were ‘restricted’ to images only, no applications or utilities etc.

Currently the group Alt.binaries.pictures.utilities is a group specificaly for any and all things related to pictures including pictures so anyone wishing to post images or anything else should post to that group and let everyone here know the subject line of their post.

BH
Bob Hatch
Feb 26, 2004

My newsgroup server, individual.net, does not allow binaries. Period. —
Everyday I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I have stayed alive.
http://www.bobhatch.com
T
tom187
Feb 26, 2004
Kingdom wrote:

— snip —

It died some years ago. Nobody wanted to maintain it and the last time I looked the pages were gone.

Regardnig your other points, please see reply in
alt.graphics.photoshop. I didn’t crosspost that reply, nor had I noticed that you had crossposted the question.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
R
Rick
Feb 26, 2004
"Bob Hatch" wrote in message

My newsgroup server, individual.net, does not allow binaries. Period.

1. Four out of five online users still use dialup.

2. Most major ISPs (and most minor ones too) now block
binary attachments in groups outside the alt.binary hierarchy.

2. Whether binaries are allowed in this group depends on the Charter:
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/comp/comp.graphics.apps .photoshop.gz

—–
comp.graphics.apps.photoshop is a forum for the discussion of Adobe Photoshop applications. These include 3rd party packages such as Kai’s Power Tools, used as a powerful special effects tool for graphic design. Discussions may include technical questions, tips and tricks, product queries and ordering information, and announcement of new products. The posting of binaries, such as tutorial files (pdf’s) is discouraged; ftp sites are a much preferred method of downloading these types of files.
—–

We could debate the difference between "discouraged" and "prohibited", but the bottom line is that binaries should be posted to ftp or http space, and a link to them posted here.

Rick
R
Rick
Feb 26, 2004
"Rick" wrote in message

And yes I do know how to count to three. 😉

Rick
DH
Darrel Hoffman
Feb 26, 2004

Yes. Besides the already stated point that not everybody in the world has broadband, there is the even more important issue that many news servers do not allow binaries, and those that do often have very poor server retention, so posts don’t stick around for more than a day in some cases, since the large binary files push all the text posts off the server. True, you can get a pay-server like Giganews (which I use at home), but not everybody wants to go to the effort of paying for this service. This being the case, however, I do believe that there is adequate justification for an alt.binaries.photoshop group. If anybody knows how to go about starting a new newsgroup, it might be worth trying. All I know is you probably have to start it by putting in a petition at alt.config. If anybody wants to do the grunt work, by all means, do so.
K
Kingdom
Feb 27, 2004
"Bob Hatch" wrote in
news:c1lc6g$1kc0qh$:

Try this one its free

cp-news.centix.net

K
Kingdom
Feb 27, 2004
"Rick" wrote in
news:c1lh2q$1kb8t1$:

news:c1lc6g$1kc0qh$

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/comp/comp.graphics.apps .photoshop. gz

—–
comp.graphics.apps.photoshop is a forum for the discussion of Adobe Photoshop applications. These include 3rd party packages such as Kai’s Power Tools, used as a powerful special effects tool for graphic design. Discussions may include technical questions, tips and tricks, product queries and ordering information, and announcement of new products. The posting of binaries, such as tutorial files (pdf’s) is discouraged; ftp sites are a much preferred method of downloading these types of files.
—–

We could debate the difference between "discouraged" and "prohibited", but the bottom line is that binaries should be posted to ftp or http space, and a link to them posted here.
Rick
My original post was because people can’t or shouldn’t post images here which would make things much simpler if they could than everyone having to go look in another group or webspace. Could it be that the founders of the group were trying to prohibit large binary posts like ablications etc rather than web optomised graphic images?

I guess what I’m really saying is should we begin to accept image posts but still frown on anything else?

K
Kingdom
Feb 27, 2004
"Rick" wrote in
news:c1lhaa$1kiva6$:

"Rick" wrote in message
news:c1lh2q$1kb8t1$

And yes I do know how to count to three. 😉

Rick

Hee heee

K
Kingdom
Feb 27, 2004
(Tom Thomas) wrote in news:40413f9f.105350986
@news.supernews.com:

Kingdom wrote:

— snip —

It died some years ago. Nobody wanted to maintain it and the last time I looked the pages were gone.

Regardnig your other points, please see reply in
alt.graphics.photoshop. I didn’t crosspost that reply, nor had I noticed that you had crossposted the question.
——————————-
Tom

Yeh it was an after thought to post to both groups.

Would it benefit ‘us’ as a group to redraught an FAQ? mabe accepting the fact that people could post images, but maybe word to say that we don’t want floods, but if your seeking advice or need to show an example then that would be ok?

BH
Bob Hatch
Feb 27, 2004

Try this one its free
NO. I like the one I have.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I have stayed alive.
http://www.bobhatch.com
K
Kingdom
Feb 27, 2004
"Darrel Hoffman" wrote in news:5Fs%b.26103
$:

Yes. Besides the already stated point that not everybody in the world has broadband, there is the even more important issue that many news servers do not allow binaries, and those that do often have very poor server retention, so posts don’t stick around for more than a day in some cases, since the large binary files push all the text posts off
the
server. True, you can get a pay-server like Giganews (which I use at home), but not everybody wants to go to the effort of paying for this service. This being the case, however, I do believe that there is adequate justification for an alt.binaries.photoshop group. If anybody knows how to go about starting a new newsgroup, it might be worth trying. All I know is you probably have to start it by putting in a petition at alt.config. If anybody wants to do the grunt work, by all means, do so.
Yeh I take your point that a lot of people are using free news servers. I wouldn’t want the place stuffed with images at all but some post would be better or easier to demonstrait or explain if the actiual image could be seen. That said maybe we should just carry on posting any binary files to alt.binaries.picture.utilities as that group fullfills that exact function, a home for anything related to pictures including pictures.

T
tom187
Feb 27, 2004
Kingdom wrote:

Would it benefit ‘us’ as a group to redraught an FAQ? mabe accepting the fact that people could post images, but maybe word to say that we don’t want floods, but if your seeking advice or need to show an example then that would be ok?

Creating and maintaining a comprehensive, meaningful FAQ document is no small undertaking. The group participated to a great extent in the last real effort, but ultimately it wasn’t maintained. Meanwhile, newer versions of the software came and went. Eventually the FAQ was pretty useless. I’m not against the effort, only cautioning that it’s more difficult than it sounds.

Regarding posting of ANY binaries in this or any text-only group, I would still say no, for all of the reasons in my response in the other group. It isn’t really based on personal opinion but, rather the realities of how Usenet works and the negative impacts that can occur when binaries are posted into text-only groups. A direct web link from a post to an image on the web, or posting to a binaries group is preferable.
——————————-
Tom

MR
Mike Richmann
Feb 27, 2004
Kingdom wrote:
"Rick" wrote in
news:c1lh2q$1kb8t1$:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/comp/comp.graphics.apps .photoshop. gz

—–
—–

Rick
My original post was because people can’t or shouldn’t post images here which would make things much simpler if they could than everyone having to go look in another group or webspace. Could it be that the founders of the group were trying to prohibit large binary posts like ablications etc rather than web optomised graphic images?

I guess what I’m really saying is should we begin to accept image posts but still frown on anything else?

Simply put, no. As pointed out previously, the Usenet hierarchy of groups is set up so that all servers can participate, even those without a large amount of disk storage. But the only practical way to do that is to separate groups dedicated to binary postings (which consume far more space per posting than text) from the text groups. Otherwise, sysadmins would have a real problem on their hands trying to keep their server space from filling up and expiring messages prematurely.

Start posting *any* binaries to groups that are specifically not named as being "binaries allowed" and you start tearing down one of the foundations upon which the Usenet operates effectively. It may not be convenient for you but it’s for the greater good. Violate that and you might as well be saying that you’ve unilaterally redefined the speed limit to be 120 mph on the stretch of interstate highway you prefer to use. It doesn’t matter that you might only do it once per week, the authorities would clamp down harshly for good reason and quickly.

If you want to stay within the limits of the Usenet structure (highly recommended), set up a separate newsgroup for photoshop images, e.g. alt.binaries.photoshop for example. Or as other posters have already pointed out, use existing binary newsgroups or post a link to an image on a website. But do not take it upon yourself to change the rules without the consensus of the Usenet community.

Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections