Kingdom
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there an FAQ for the group?
Does it ever get posted here?

I understand their is a high resistance to binary posts in this group, although binary posts are acceptable to the server.

Considering that in many cases simply publishing an image could help explain/show a problem/example.

Is their any valid reason for not wanting images posted to this group?

Now that Broadband is most definatly here download time realy isn’t an issue. Neither is filling the server if it were ‘restricted’ to images only, no applications or utilities etc.

Currently the group Alt.binaries.pictures.utilities is a group specificaly for any and all things related to pictures including pictures so anyone wishing to post images or anything else should post to that group and let everyone here know the subject line of their post.

Just some of my thoughts that you may care to comment on.

All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
tom187
Feb 26, 2004
Kingdom wrote:

Not that I’m aware of.

I understand their is a high resistance to binary posts in this group, although binary posts are acceptable to the server.

What server? Usenet is composed of thousands of separate servers operated by just as many different owners. They all have varying policies regarding binaries in non-binary groups.

Considering that in many cases simply publishing an image could help explain/show a problem/example.

That is true; however it should be posted somewhere else.

Yes, there are several. First of all, remember that this is a worldwide forum and internet access varies greatly based on the particular region. Many, many users worldwide still pay for their time by the minute — and we’re not talking only third-world countries, either. Therefore, they download the entire contents of the group and read offline to save money. Binaries in a text group cost them a lot of time and money.

Also, many news servers have separate charges for binary and non-binary subscriptions. For example, my account on Supernews allows text-only groups. Binary memberships cost more because the users take up more bandwidth and storage space. If they detect many binaries posted in a group they may discontinue access by text-only users.

Third, many servers simply omit the binary attachments from text groups so only a small part of the audience could see them. If you post your example somewhere that is suitable for binaries, more people will actually see it.

A text-only group allows news servers (particularly smaller ones) to retain many, many more articles before they scroll off the group. A single Photoshop image might scroll hundreds of text messages off the server. Some poorer servers can’t retain data for very long. Some servers only allow text groups and if a group receives many binary posts they simply drop the group.

Now that Broadband is most definatly here download time realy isn’t an issue. Neither is filling the server if it were ‘restricted’ to images only, no applications or utilities etc.

Again, remember that this forum is worldwide. Broadband is a luxury enjoyed by relatively few people if you consider it on a worldwide basis. Sometimes we forget that this group includes users from places other than wealthy, technology-rich countries. As for an "images only" policy — I routinely work with Photoshop images which are larger than many applications.

Currently the group Alt.binaries.pictures.utilities is a group specificaly for any and all things related to pictures including pictures so anyone wishing to post images or anything else should post to that group and let everyone here know the subject line of their post.

You are exactly right and that is how it is meant to be. If the group includes "binaries" in its name, then binaries are encouraged there. In fact, some binaries groups *discourage* text posts and have separate discussion groups associated with them.

By asking the questions, you allow the opportunity for many people to understand why they get flamed for posting binaries. Obviously, not everyone understands these things. I hope this helps.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
V
Voivod
Feb 26, 2004
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:32:26 GMT, Kingdom
scribbled:

Not to all servers, or are you one of those dolts that
thinks there’s just one server for all of usenet….

Considering that in many cases simply publishing an image could help
explain/show a problem/example.

That’s what the web and binaries groups are for.

Do you SEE the word BINARIES in this group’s name?

Now that Broadband is most definatly here download time realy isn’t an

I know many people who still can’t get reliable broandband service.

issue. Neither is filling the server if it were ‘restricted’ to images only, no applications or utilities etc.

Are you going to play moderator?

Or just post the message ID for fucks sake.

LP
Laurence Payne
Feb 26, 2004

Many mail servers reject attachments in groups flagged as non-binaries.

abpu is de facto a warez group.
V
Voivod
Feb 26, 2004
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:22:24 +0000, Laurence Payne
scribbled:

Why would mail servers have anything to do with
NNTP usenet traffic?
S
Stephan
Feb 26, 2004
"Tom Thomas" wrote in message
Kingdom wrote:

Hecate and I made one many, many moons ago.
Maybe somebody should create a new one…
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/thefrenchguy/RTFPSFAQ.html

Stephan
V
VincentJames
Feb 27, 2004
(Tom Thomas) wrote in
news::

Kingdom wrote:

Not that I’m aware of.

What server? Usenet is composed of thousands of separate servers operated by just as many different owners. They all have varying policies regarding binaries in non-binary groups.
<snip>

By asking the questions, you allow the opportunity for many people to understand why they get flamed for posting binaries. Obviously, not everyone understands these things. I hope this helps.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.

Tom, that was an excellent explanation to a very good question from someone who wanted an clear answer. Your civility shines!

—-== Posted via Newsfeed.Com – Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==—- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups —= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers – Total Privacy via Encryption =—
LP
Laurence Payne
Feb 27, 2004
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:55:51 GMT, Voivod wrote:

Why would mail servers have anything to do with
NNTP usenet traffic?

True. I meant news servers.
H
Hecate
Feb 27, 2004
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:32:26 GMT, Kingdom
wrote:

See Stephan’s reply.

And which of the many newsservers are you referring to? Many newsservers reject binary postings to text groups.

And there are plenty of other places to do that. They’; re called web sites and binary groups.

Depends on your definition of valid. Here’s a few:

1. It’s a text group not a binary group.
2. Every time you post a binary, hundreds of text messages get knocked off the newsserver.
3. A lot of people will have a size limit on messages so a lot of people won’t see a binary posting.
4. Binary postings take a long time to download if you haven’t got broadband. And despite your US-centric belief, most people *haven’t* got broadband.
5. Netiquette.

I’m sure I can think of more if I try, but that’s enough to be going along with.

Now that Broadband is most definatly here download time realy isn’t an issue.

I do hate it when people assume everyone lives in the US…

Neither is filling the server if it were ‘restricted’ to images only, no applications or utilities etc.

Wrong. Every newsgroup, text or binary, has a size limit, and a retention time. Each depends on the newsserver you use. And a binary file will take up a lot of space compared to a text file causing the text files everyone is here to read to be deleted much earlier than necessary.

Actually it’s not. It’s a warez group for illegal software.

I did.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections