Posted By
Trizicklo
Jan 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey guys

I ran into a little problem on Friday where I tried opening a .psd file I had just made changes to and closed about 2-3 minutes before. After being done with the changes I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything and then it happened, the file didn’t open. Every time I tried to open this file it kept telling me the following…"Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop." How can this be when I’d created this file a couple of hours ago using PS CS2? I thought this file got corrupted since I couldn’t open it in Photoshop but I also thought of opening the file in Preview (Mac) to make sure if indeed it was corrupt. The file opened fine and I could not see any form of corruption in the image.

Is there any way I can make this file open once again in Photoshop as a layered file and not flat? It would suck to recreate the whole thing again from scratch.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jan 15, 2007
Alas, Preview was showing you the flattened composite only, not the layered file. Similarly, ImageReady, Illustrator and/or Graphic Converter may be able to let you open the flattened composite.

I’m afraid your layered file is toast.

Some of the causes for this kind of file damage are, in order of likelihood, saving or opening files over a network, NAV (Norton Anti Virus), and hardware errors like drives, RAM, etc.
T
Trizicklo
Jan 16, 2007
Ramon

Thanks man! I totally forgot to mention that indeed any image editor that can read this particular file will show it as a flat image and not layered. I know this because I’ve been in situations where I’ve been saved by Preview by helping me save as .TIFF.

You are 100% correct, I saved the file over the network. I guess I will have no other option but to redo it if the client has any further changes. In any case, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for you great help! Now I know.

Until the next question. 🙂
R
Ram
Jan 16, 2007
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections