F
Posted By
Fungusamungus
Aug 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all, I’m using Photoshop 6. I had to rebuild my computer about a month ago, after the OS went buggy. Ever since then, Internet Explorer always saves jpegs with the ".jpeg" extension, which Photoshop doesn’t recognize (it only sees .jpg and .jpe). I’ve asked about getting IE to save as .jpg like it used to, but haven’t received a response yet, so I’m asking here if anyone knows how I can get PS to recognize .jpeg extensions.

TIA!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
DosBoss57
Aug 30, 2003
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:04:23 GMT, "Fungusamungus" wrote:

Hi all, I’m using Photoshop 6. I had to rebuild my computer about a month ago, after the OS went buggy. Ever since then, Internet Explorer always saves jpegs with the ".jpeg" extension, which Photoshop doesn’t recognize (it only sees .jpg and .jpe). I’ve asked about getting IE to save as .jpg like it used to, but haven’t received a response yet, so I’m asking here if anyone knows how I can get PS to recognize .jpeg extensions.
TIA!
I tried what you said. When I save a pic from IE, in the "save as" dialog box I see the extension "JPEG (*.jpg)" . From what i understand it saves as .jpg. I can open in photoshop no problem. I don’t think your problem has anything to do with the way IE saves the images. Have you updated IE to the latest version….Maybe you have an old version of IE which exists since before photoshop 6. i used to run PS 5.5 before I upgraded to PS7 and don’t recall ever having had this problem

Good Luck
DosBoss57

Imagine all the people living life in peace !
JK
JP Kabala
Aug 30, 2003
Sounds like this is an OS issue, not PS. Assuming that you are using some flavor of Windows, have you tried going in to the extension manager and adding ".jpeg" to the Phototoshop "open with" list? Just a thought.
"Fungusamungus" wrote in message
Hi all, I’m using Photoshop 6. I had to rebuild my computer about a month ago, after the OS went buggy. Ever since then, Internet Explorer always saves jpegs with the ".jpeg" extension, which Photoshop doesn’t recognize (it only sees .jpg and .jpe). I’ve asked about getting IE to save as .jpg like it used to, but haven’t received a response yet, so I’m asking here
if
anyone knows how I can get PS to recognize .jpeg extensions.
TIA!

H
Hecate
Aug 31, 2003

TIA!
Hi Fungy,

I just looked in PS and in the File/Open dialog it always comes up as all formats, right?

Click the down arrow and see what it says for jpg, because on my copy (admittedly now v. 7) it had jpg, jpe and jpeg in brackets next to it). if that is the case,, then you need to switch from all formats. Don’t ask me why, but it seems like a PS problem.

If it *doesn’t* show jpeg in brackets, then you are stuffed, because it means that there isn’t a conversion file for jpeg in PS 6. But I’d be very surprised if that was the case.

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
B
ben-dover
Aug 31, 2003
did you go into the file extensions and see what programs are associated with the jpeg icon? after rebuilding your puter it may save as ajpeg but no programs are being told to recognize the format.
"Hecate" wrote in message

Hi all, I’m using Photoshop 6. I had to rebuild my computer about a month ago, after the OS went buggy. Ever since then, Internet Explorer always saves jpegs with the ".jpeg" extension, which Photoshop doesn’t recognize (it only sees .jpg and .jpe). I’ve asked about getting IE to save as .jpg like it used to, but haven’t received a response yet, so I’m asking here
if
TIA!
Hi Fungy,

I just looked in PS and in the File/Open dialog it always comes up as all formats, right?

Click the down arrow and see what it says for jpg, because on my copy (admittedly now v. 7) it had jpg, jpe and jpeg in brackets next to it). if that is the case,, then you need to switch from all formats. Don’t ask me why, but it seems like a PS problem.

If it *doesn’t* show jpeg in brackets, then you are stuffed, because it means that there isn’t a conversion file for jpeg in PS 6. But I’d be very surprised if that was the case.

Hecate
R
RTM
Aug 31, 2003
Two things to try:
I’d assume V6 still has the "Open As" option, so you could try opening them AS jpg, or you could just rename the files to *.jpg and they should open. I’d expect them to anyway.

Isn’t a 4 letter suffix a Mac feature? If they came from a Mac user and are going back to a Mac user you may need to rename them again to make them compatible.
There is also the possibility that I could be way off the mark here, but You have a 50-50 chance of success in as much as it either works or it doesn’t. —

Ron.

Fungusamungus wrote in message
if
TIA!

F
Fungusamungus
Aug 31, 2003
Thanks for the advice all.

Let me try and run through the responses:

using IE 6.00.2600 (if it’s not the newest version, it’s darn close, and definetly post PS 6)

There is a program associated with .jpeg, and that’s MS Photo Editor (comes with MS Office). My old computer was way slow opening up PS, so I always had jpegs associated with PhotoEditor, which opened like a snap, never had this problem before.

My current solution is to change the extention to .jpg (but oddly, I get the "changing the extention could make the file unreadable" warning that windows gives. So even though in the file types it lists jpeg, jpg, and jpe as jpeg files, it doesn’t seem to associate them when altering the extention.

On an individual basis, this isn’t a problem, however, I’m used to just double clicking the PS desktop and going right to the image, opening it and getting to work. I now find myself double clicking, browsing, not finding the image, then having to close the dialogue box, going to the folder and renaming the image. That’s roughly 10 extra seconds. If I’m dealing with hundreds of images, that time adds up something fierce, hence my posting here with this.

Thanks again to all!

(PS no mac involved. We’re talking saving from IE, opening up and working in PS6, all on the same PC).
H
Hecate
Aug 31, 2003
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:02:06 GMT, "Fungusamungus" wrote:

My current solution is to change the extention to .jpg (but oddly, I get the "changing the extention could make the file unreadable" warning that windows gives. So even though in the file types it lists jpeg, jpg, and jpe as jpeg files, it doesn’t seem to associate them when altering the extention.
Not odd 😉 This is one of those "features" where MS assume every user is an idiot. Try changing any file extension to any other file extension and you get that dialog. 😉

Hecate
H
Hecate
Sep 2, 2003
On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:30:02 GMT, "Fungusamungus" wrote:

"Hecate" wrote in message
Not odd 😉 This is one of those "features" where MS assume every user is an idiot. Try changing any file extension to any other file extension and you get that dialog. 😉

Nope. Try changing an .mpeg file to .mpg file and it doesn’t do that. Yet, mpeg is to mpg as jpeg is to jpg.
Interesting, because if I do try and change an mpeg to an mpg I *do* get the warning. Sheesh! 😉

Hecate

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections