BF
Posted By
Brian Fremont
Sep 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
JPEG Files saved off of the internet using xplorer 5 are not being recognized by Photoshop 6.0. Any Suggestions as to why?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BL
Bill Lamp
Sep 2, 2003
Brian,

Is that SOME JPEG files or ALL of them?

If it is just some, you may have run into some JPEG2000 files with jpg rather than jp2 extension. Photoshop 6 is not able to open the new variety without a plug-in. Well, 7 can’t either.

Try IRFANVIEW. It is a freeware, for personal use viewer. If it will open them, use it to save as what ever type you want them in.

If it is all, they may be corrupted in some way and the above program will let you look at them and see if there is enough for them to be worth saving.

Without an example of one of these files, it is hard to guess further.

Bill
B
BillJ
Sep 2, 2003
What is the file extension when it saves them? My IE 5 always wants to save jpegs as ".jpe" files for some reason. I don’t think Photoshop knows what to do with that extension.
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
My IE 5 always wants to save jpegs as ".jpe" files for some reason. I
don’t think Photoshop knows what to do with that extension.<<

I don’t know the fix for it, but can’t you just change the file extension manually.
B
BillJ
Sep 2, 2003
Yes, of course you can change the extension. I was just wondering if they were .jpe files and hadn’t noticed.
KC
Kevin Connery
Sep 2, 2003
Files stored on some servers (unix-based, primarily) often have .html and .jpeg extensions rather than the 3-character ones mandated on Windows systems. If IE is just mapping .jpeg to a 3 character extension, it’ll show up as .jpe.

(That IE does the above is a guess, as I don’t have a windows system available to check on right now)
PG
Philip_Gerlach
Dec 3, 2003
My .jpg files that I create either from a .psd file or from a digital photo are NOT READABLE by other users.

Fatal errors are noted when trying to open my .jpg files in most softwares. Even when uploading to a Photo Store for developing, ERROR appears that files are not readable.

Any idea how to correct this situation.
(STILL USING PhotoShop 5.0)
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 3, 2003
Somehow you’re corrupting the files while transferring them.
V
viol8ion
Dec 3, 2003
Fatal errors are noted when trying to open my .jpg files in most softwares. Even when uploading to a Photo Store for developing, ERROR appears that files are not readable.

How are you sending the images, by email? Try Zipping them first before emailing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections