How to give a text layer a gradient without losing text editability?

AT
Posted By
Alan_Tonn
Nov 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe Production Suite 2 – Adobe Photoshop CS 2
Windows XP Professional SR2
1.5 MB RAM
120GB, 250GB and 250GB in the computer
Saphire x1600 Pro

I want to make a logo that I can easily change the text in on a whim, and have a gradient coloring scheme. Is there anyone who can help? any tutorials out there? everytime I need to change the text in my logo because of some decision to alter the type style or the letters I must remake the logo. I am getting tired of it. never had to do that when I used Corel Photopaint. 🙁

Please someone can you help?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 21, 2006
Experiment with text as a clipping mask over a gradient or image layer. Google will find you more tutorials than you can shake a stick at.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 21, 2006
Maybe use a type mask tool instead of a type tool, and apply it to a layer containing the desired gradient. Page 554 of the PDF version of the PSCS2 manual states:

To create a type selection border

When you use the Horizontal Type Mask tool or Vertical Type Mask tool, you create a selection in the shape of the type. Type selections appear on the active layer, and can be moved, copied, filled, or stroked just like any other selection.

1 Select the layer on which you want the selection to appear. For best results, create the type selection border on a normal image layer, not a type layer.

2 Select the Horizontal Type Mask tool or the Vertical Type Mask tool.

3 Select additional type options, and enter type at a point or in a bounding box.

A red mask appears over the active layer as you enter the type. After you click the Commit button, the type selection border appears in the image on the active layer.
P
Phosphor
Nov 21, 2006
Gradient Overlay in Layer Styles.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 21, 2006
What’s way number three? There are always at least three ways to do anything in PS.
AT
Alan_Tonn
Nov 25, 2006
thanks guys. this is great. 🙂 made a happy camper out of me!
AT
Alan_Tonn
Nov 25, 2006
YEAH! it WORKS! 😀

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections