How do I get a filter to effect other layers?

YY
Posted By
yoni_yoni
May 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have two layer – 1 and 2. I applied a lighting filter effect on layer 1, which is basicly a background picture. I wish that the lighting effect will effect layer 2, which is a picture of a person. How can I do this?

I am using Photoshop 7.0 and I have a intel 2.8ghz computer with 512 ram, if this matters. OS is XP Home Edition.

Thanks,
Yoni

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

S
stevent
May 19, 2005
CTRL+F will reapply the effect with the same settings(select the second layer before applying), but i doubt it will look the way you want on the second layer.
You would probably have a better effect if you merged the layers first.
YY
yoni_yoni
May 19, 2005
Thanks

Well I guess there isnt really a way to make a filter apply more than one layer. The problem with merging the layers is obvious – I will not be able to make changes to the two different layers seperatly.

Oh well,
Thanks
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 19, 2005
You could try this:

– Don’t apply the lighting effect to either layer, but create a 3rd layer on top of the two. Fill this with 50% grey.
– Render your lighting effects on that layer, and set the blending mode to "overlay," "soft light," or another mode that suits your taste.

This won’t get you GREAT results, but definitely provides adequate ones, as well as letting you edit the lower layers independently.

A longer description of the above effect can be found here. < http://www.jonbalza.com/tutorials/photoshop/lightingeffects/> Sorry there are no pictures up currently – I’m working on it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections