JB
Posted By
Jeff_Blakely
Jan 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a client who shoots TV shows on HD. One of the show’s producers asked if they can capture some still and make them at a high enough resolution suitable making promos and sending them to press. I never had any luck up-sampling. I always get fringing and blurring. There used to be some programs that promised they could do it.

Is there anything out there that could do a good job?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jan 10, 2007
Good up rez program for Mac?

The best one is called Bicubic Smoother in Photoshop CS2.

It will do just as well as or outperform Genuine Fractals, unless you’re talking billboard size enlargements.

Not sure what your images are. If you mean shooting the screen with a camera, don’t expect miracles.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 10, 2007
Genuine Fractals was actually designed primarily to DOWNsample high resolution images.

It won’t do any better at UP-rezzing low-grade images than Photoshop’s Bicubic Smoother — regardless of what GF’s advertising claims.

You cannot add more "tiles" (pixels) to a mosaic floor just by increasing the size of the room — all you are doing by up-rezzing is adding more Grout (albeit COLORED grout) between the tiles!
JB
Jeff_Blakely
Jan 10, 2007
I was afraid you guys were going to say this and Ann’s explanation makes complete sense. I do recall a photographer who was selling something years ago and it looked incredible.
NR
nick_rose
Jan 10, 2007
we’ve had good luck with Blowup from alienskin…
JB
Jeff_Blakely
Jan 10, 2007
Nick. That one look great especially when they compare it to PS bicubic smoother which is what I get when I use it. I’ll recommend that one. I should get a copy too. I’ll see how it works for the client before I spring.

Thanks again everyone.
B
Buko
Jan 10, 2007
Keep in mind. If you are uprezing relatively low rez files or even files from scans. the software mentioned will not do you a bit of good other than waste a couple hundred dollars. The 3rd party software will serve you best when working with digital images. Unless you are doing alot of this type of work.
JB
Jeff_Blakely
Jan 10, 2007
Buko. These would be grabs from HD video so they’ll start at 72DPI. I guess the client can return it if it doesn’t do the trick. I don’t know any way that’s acceptable. Just the old step up rez blur, sharpen, repeat which doesn’t really work well.
R
Ram
Jan 10, 2007
Try their downloadable demo version first. No point in buying if it doesn’t work.
B
Buko
Jan 10, 2007
These would be grabs from HD video so they’ll start at 72DPI

Don’t waste your money

enlarging in one step is better than steps
JB
Jeff_Blakely
Jan 11, 2007
That was a good tip on downloading a demo. I missed that on their site. I gave it a go and the results are much better than PS although certainly not without its problems. I’ll have to do a print test to see.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections