Posted By
kopn
Jul 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello
What is a good scanning program for my HP ScanJet 5p for Windows XP? HP PrecisionScan Pro 2.03 is good, but gives a pink tint to my photos. HP DeskScan 2.9 writes that there is an error in comunicating with the scanner. Windows Scanner Wizard has too small preview windows to adjust the image.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

I
iehsmith
Jul 28, 2005
On 7/28/05 9:04 AM, uttered:

Hello
What is a good scanning program for my HP ScanJet 5p for Windows XP? HP PrecisionScan Pro 2.03 is good, but gives a pink tint to my photos. HP DeskScan 2.9 writes that there is an error in comunicating with the scanner. Windows Scanner Wizard has too small preview windows to adjust the image.

In years passed I had heard good things about SilverFast. I couldn’t afford to purchase the software specific for my scanner at the time, so I cannot endorse it personally. I believe now that they have software that is non-specific to make/model of scanner (not sure). Anyway, I think it’s worth looking into. I’ve just looked them up again since seeing your post, but haven’t read it. Apparently several different levels of software. http://www.silverfast.com/overview/en.html

hth,
inez
R
RSD99
Jul 28, 2005
"iehsmith" wrote in message
On 7/28/05 9:04 AM, uttered:

Hello

In years passed I had heard good things about SilverFast. I couldn’t
afford
to purchase the software specific for my scanner at the time, so I cannot endorse it personally. I believe now that they have software that is non-specific to make/model of scanner (not sure). Anyway, I think it’s
worth
looking into. I’ve just looked them up again since seeing your post, but haven’t read it. Apparently several different levels of software. http://www.silverfast.com/overview/en.html

hth,
inez

I use SilverFast (different manufacturer and different scanner) … and I’m (relatively) satisfied.
IS
Ira Solomon
Jul 28, 2005
Hi:
While I like Silverfast, I would suggest you try VueScan first. It is much cheaper and one copy works on all supported scanners. Yours is on the list.
Go to:
http://www.hamrick.com/

Free trial is available.

Good luck

Ira Solomon
On 28 Jul 2005 07:04:24 -0700, wrote:

Hello
G
Gary
Jul 29, 2005
Vuescan, it is way better than manufacturers / supplied with stuff. "Ira Solomon" wrote in message
Hi:
While I like Silverfast, I would suggest you try VueScan first. It is much cheaper and one copy works on all supported scanners. Yours is on the list.
Go to:
http://www.hamrick.com/

Free trial is available.

Good luck

Ira Solomon
On 28 Jul 2005 07:04:24 -0700, wrote:

Hello
K
kopn
Aug 2, 2005
Thank you all!
K
kopn
Aug 2, 2005
Can Vuescan save to compressed group 4 tif, gif, png?
K
kopn
Aug 2, 2005
SilverFast SE is for HP ScanJet 4p, not 5p.
http://www.silverfast.com/sf-download/se/en.html
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Aug 2, 2005
wrote in message

VueScan saves to (single/multipage)TIFF (1-bit B/W, 8/16-bit gray, 24/48-bit RGB, 64-bit RGBI, 16-bit InfraRed), JPEG, PDF, OCR-text file, and BMP-index file. Multiple file types, e.g. TIFF and JPEG, can be saved at the same time, with different sizes if needed.

Compression of 16-bit/channel scan files often *increases* the file size. VueScan will in those cases default to uncompressed TIFF. You can manually switch compression on, but I don’t know which type of compression it is.

Since VueScan is not an image editor but a scanner driver, it attempts to extract and save as much information from the original as possible. You can always throw away information later by converting to GIF, probably after down-sampling. PNG is generally less accepted than TIFF, thus it’s not supported, you can always losslessly convert to it in an image editor.

Bart
C
Clyde
Aug 2, 2005
Bart van der Wolf wrote:
wrote in message

VueScan saves to (single/multipage)TIFF (1-bit B/W, 8/16-bit gray, 24/48-bit RGB, 64-bit RGBI, 16-bit InfraRed), JPEG, PDF, OCR-text file, and BMP-index file. Multiple file types, e.g. TIFF and JPEG, can be saved at the same time, with different sizes if needed.

Compression of 16-bit/channel scan files often *increases* the file size. VueScan will in those cases default to uncompressed TIFF. You can manually switch compression on, but I don’t know which type of compression it is.

Since VueScan is not an image editor but a scanner driver, it attempts to extract and save as much information from the original as possible. You can always throw away information later by converting to GIF, probably after down-sampling. PNG is generally less accepted than TIFF, thus it’s not supported, you can always losslessly convert to it in an image editor.

Bart

I believe that the TIFF compression is LZW, but I’m not sure. If I remember right a saved one of those in Photoshop wants to resave as a TIFF with LZW. Of course, that isn’t proof, but an indicator.

Clyde

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections