PE
Posted By
phoney.email
Jul 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Graphics amateur here, but I stumbled across something which is probably old hat to you pros. However, I’d like to share it with the class and see what you lot think about it…

I’m currently agonizing over scanning resolution and bit-depth to use to scan irreplaceable family photos, negatives and slides. The idea was to use optical maximums for archiving and then, at a later date, possibly scale down for printing and displaying, as required.

However, 48-bit color at 2400 dpi produces obscenely huge files so I devised a little test to see how accurate those specs really are.

I scanned an image twice in succession. A binary comparison of the two files revealed them to be quite different. And it doesn’t matter what resolution or color depth I used. Even 1-bit, 50 dpi scans come out different!?

Puzzled, I exported the images as RAW and wrote a quick-and-dirty program to average them out. I used 5 scans, added up values for each pixel and then divided by 5 producing a simple "average" image. This is a very pedestrian, plain-vanilla algorithm for data acquisition, I didn’t even bother eliminating the extremes.

(BTW, how do I average images in PS 6.0.1? I played with Apply image and Blending modes but I just can’t produce the desired effect. It’s all those options. Brain hurts…)

Anyway, back to my "average" image. Instead of improving things, this actually made matters worse as the resulting image came out "soft" and out of focus.

So, I wrote another little quick-and-dirty "difference" routine to compare two images like so: if file 1 pixel < file 2 pixel I assigned it a value of 255 ("white"), if file 1 pixel > 2 it became a 0 ("black"), and if both are same the resulting pixel became 127 ("gray"). Once I loaded this "difference image" it looked like it was put through an emboss filter and it had R, G & B "shadows" indicating both vertical and horizontal displacement.

(Again, how would I produce such a "difference image" in PS 6.0.1?)

Anyway, this means not only are room-temperature CCDs quite inaccurate but stepper motor tolerances appear quite bad too.

Sure makes me wonder about all those "generous" bit-depth and resolution claims, and puts my agonizing over them into perspective.

Don.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
John McGerr
Jul 25, 2003
I’m not an expert here but I have been scanning images for quite a while. My scanner is pretty old, seven years and my only choice for colour depths are millions of colours, greyscale or line art(useful for maps and text). For archiving, like you’re doing I scan with millions of colours and at 300dpi. Any touching up I do in Photoshop.
I would doubt that you’d be able to see, on screen, any difference between a 300dpi scan and a 2400 dpi scan except for size. I think you’d need to decide how you want to output your images when you decide on your scanning resolution. I use a colour printer and photographic paper. I can print A4 size with good quality results. And on screen they look great. I have created several enlargements for family and friends and reprinted restored images. Unless you’re planning poster size images I think 300 or even 600 dpi would be plenty.
I have no facility to scan negatives so I cannot comment on them.

John McGerr

http://www.mostrim.org

Remove the 123 to reply

"Don" wrote in message
Graphics amateur here, but I stumbled across something which is probably old hat to you pros. However, I’d like to share it with the class and see what you lot think about it…

I’m currently agonizing over scanning resolution and bit-depth to use to scan irreplaceable family photos, negatives and slides. The idea was to use optical maximums for archiving and then, at a later date, possibly scale down for printing and displaying, as required.
However, 48-bit color at 2400 dpi produces obscenely huge files so I devised a little test to see how accurate those specs really are.
I scanned an image twice in succession. A binary comparison of the two files revealed them to be quite different. And it doesn’t matter what resolution or color depth I used. Even 1-bit, 50 dpi scans come out different!?

Puzzled, I exported the images as RAW and wrote a quick-and-dirty program to average them out. I used 5 scans, added up values for each pixel and then divided by 5 producing a simple "average" image. This is a very pedestrian, plain-vanilla algorithm for data acquisition, I didn’t even bother eliminating the extremes.

(BTW, how do I average images in PS 6.0.1? I played with Apply image and Blending modes but I just can’t produce the desired effect. It’s all those options. Brain hurts…)

Anyway, back to my "average" image. Instead of improving things, this actually made matters worse as the resulting image came out "soft" and out of focus.

So, I wrote another little quick-and-dirty "difference" routine to compare two images like so: if file 1 pixel < file 2 pixel I assigned it a value of 255 ("white"), if file 1 pixel > 2 it became a 0 ("black"), and if both are same the resulting pixel became 127 ("gray"). Once I loaded this "difference image" it looked like it was put through an emboss filter and it had R, G & B "shadows" indicating both vertical and horizontal displacement.

Anyway, this means not only are room-temperature CCDs quite inaccurate but stepper motor tolerances appear quite bad too.

Sure makes me wonder about all those "generous" bit-depth and resolution claims, and puts my agonizing over them into perspective.
Don.
JC
J C
Jul 25, 2003
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:05:13 +0100, "John McGerr" wrote:

I would doubt that you’d be able to see, on screen, any difference between a 300dpi scan and a 2400 dpi scan except for size.

I think you’d need to decide how you want to output your images when you Unless you’re planning poster size images I think
300 or even 600 dpi would be plenty.

All your calculations seem to me to be too much trouble. I’ve never seen a scanned image that I ever thought would need all that.

When scanning the most important thing is resolution. Since, as you’ve said, images scanned at max resolution are huge, you need to decide what resolution you really need for the final print size you will use.

I’ve scanned 1000’s of images. Since it sounds like you will be printing them for personal use on an inkjet, let me add that in many images you will not likely see much of a difference between 8 x 10 inkjet prints from 150 and 300 dpi images. (Make test prints using the same image at different resolutions and then examine the image with an 8x loupe.) Your inkjet may print at 720 or 1440 dpi (or higher) but this does not mean that your image needs to be that resolution. So keep that in mind when you’re setting the initial scan resolution.

As jmac mentions, if you’re planning to print large images, then high resolutions are the way to go.

— JC
MR
Mike Russell
Jul 26, 2003
Don wrote:

My guess is you are seeing slight variations in scan head position, running head on into dimensional stability issues.

Scarecrow puts finger to head, and says quickly: "Calculate the average of a set of images by copying each image to a layer whose transparency is set to 1/2 that of the previous layer."

Yes, this is consistent with the scanner head moving slightly between runs, and/or jiggling slightly within a run.

Superimpost the layers, set difference mode, select the move tool, and use the arrow keys. Or if you prefer do it with channel ops and the displace filter. BTW – you will probably find that no matter where you move the second image, it will not quite overlap the previously scanned one.

You got it – particularly the second one.

Again, you got it. Here’s another experiment. Scan a uniformly colored, texture free material, such as a piece of translucent plastic. This will give you a good idea of the noise level of your scanner, how many bits are really being scanned. I think you will find that the marketeers have been at work, and many of the 16 bits per channel are noise.

Kudos to you for actually experimenting, and coming up with new information!

Mike Russell
http://www.curvemeister.com
http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr
http://geigy.2y.net
WS
Warren Sarle
Jul 26, 2003
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Don wrote:

Scarecrow puts finger to head, and says quickly: "Calculate the average of
a
set of images by copying each image to a layer whose transparency is set
to
1/2 that of the previous layer."

Or, you could compute a more conventional average by setting the opacity of the nth layer from the bottom to 1/n.
PE
phoney.email
Jul 26, 2003
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:04:57 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

Scarecrow puts finger to head, and says quickly: "Calculate the average of a set of images by copying each image to a layer whose transparency is set to 1/2 that of the previous layer."
….

Superimpost the layers, set difference mode, select the move tool, and use the arrow keys. Or if you prefer do it with channel ops and the displace filter. BTW – you will probably find that no matter where you move the second image, it will not quite overlap the previously scanned one.

Thanks for that, Mike! I’ll try it when I go offline.

You got it – particularly the second one.

Again, you got it. Here’s another experiment. Scan a uniformly colored, texture free material, such as a piece of translucent plastic. This will give you a good idea of the noise level of your scanner, how many bits are really being scanned. I think you will find that the marketeers have been at work, and many of the 16 bits per channel are noise.

That’s what got me thinking in the first place. What appeared a uniform color in the original (both on flatbed and film scanners) comes out as a phychedelic sprinkling of seemingly random-colored dots. My multiple scans were an attempt to "tame" those wild oscillations.

Kudos to you for actually experimenting, and coming up with new information!

That’s what we assembler programmers do… 😉

But seriously, thanks very much indeed for your hints and encouragement, Mike!

Don
JB
Jerry Beasley
Jul 26, 2003
Don,
I’ve been through this exercise before as I did a similar project with boxes of my family photos. There are many valid arguments on appropriate scan size, but as you alluded to, you don’t necessarily know how your images will be used in the future. My blanket suggestion here is go as high resolution as you have time and patience for. CD-Rs are cheap, and as you pointed out, you can reduce the size later.
However, in my case, I chose different scan sizes depending on the original detail and the size of the prints. I scanned most large prints and portriats (8×10 or larger) at only 300dpi because I felt that was more than adequate to capture the degree of detail needed in these prints and keep the file sizes manageable. I determined through examination that in most cases, I didn’t gain appreciable detail with higher resolutions. There is a point of diminishing return and you can find that point by doing test scans of different sized and detailed prints and then comparing the detail at enlargement. In some cases, higher resolution scans just yielded larger grains, not more detail. However, some images were exceptionally sharp and fine, so I scanned these at 600dpi. Smaller, monochrome prints I scanned at 600dpi or 1200dpi depending on how much detail I determined through test batches I could squeeze from the scan.
A little experimentation goes a long way. I scanned some images at 2400dpi and higher and discovered at enlargement I was looking at the fibers of the print paper itself. It was gratifying to see that level of detail in the scan, but it did nothing for the clarity of the image itself and the file sizes were enormous.
Just another opinion.
– Beas

"Don" wrote in message

Don.
DL
Donald Link
Jul 28, 2003
Just to butt in for a second, DVDs are stable if you use the proper recorder for the proper DVD disks. Prices are getting dirt cheap for the new drive that will record both DVD-R and DVD+R. I thought as you did but I am finding out the DVD, especially the DVD writable disks are so much more stable than CD writable. Prices for DVD disks can be picked up, on sale, for very economical prices, especially the recordable. Either recordable or writable will play on DVD players without a problem. There are even editing software that will allow you to burn photos and play them on your DVD player on you TV. Helps with those special people who do not have computers or DVD player on their computers. Convert the cds aprox 700 meg to the nearly 4.7 gig that you get on DVD and you will quickly see the difference. Recordable DVDs are the way to go if you can fill them up, otherwise you will DVD rewritable’s to add to at different sessions. Please do not dismiss the DVD solution until you have thourghly researched it my discussing with people who have used DVDs. Also, if anyone can offer any additional advise please do so.
Although CDRs are indeed cheap, according to my rough calculations, even with the above approach I’d still be looking at a minimum of 200 CDs (don’t trust the format jungle of the DVDs yet). And that means my digitized images will be bigger in both volume and weight than the originals – which I found a bit amusing… To be fair, this will shrink down to a handful of "album" CDs of JPGs, so that’s not too bad.

One other thing I noticed in my various tests is that negatives, even though properly stored, seem to suffer much more physical damage than prints. This was not apparent to the naked eye, but once scanned all sorts of things were revealed. On the other hand, although physically in better shape, color prints tend to fade much faster than film.
Thanks again!

Don.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:44:13 GMT, "Jerry Beasley" wrote:

Don,
I’ve been through this exercise before as I did a similar project
with
boxes of my family photos. There are many valid arguments on appropriate scan size, but as you alluded to, you don’t necessarily know how your
images
will be used in the future. My blanket suggestion here is go as high resolution as you have time and patience for. CD-Rs are cheap, and as
you
pointed out, you can reduce the size later.
H
Hecate
Jul 28, 2003
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:03:47 GMT, (Don) wrote:

Although CDRs are indeed cheap, according to my rough calculations, even with the above approach I’d still be looking at a minimum of 200 CDs (don’t trust the format jungle of the DVDs yet). And that means my digitized images will be bigger in both volume and weight than the originals – which I found a bit amusing… To be fair, this will shrink down to a handful of "album" CDs of JPGs, so that’s not too bad.
Just a quick note. Format Jungle, Him Dead. He killed by Recorder using both -RW and +RW standards. It no longer problem. DVD now King of De Jungle 🙂

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
PE
phoney.email
Jul 28, 2003
Always glad to read about other people’s experiences, so butting in is most welcome.

In particular it’s very interesting that you find DVDs to be more stable than CDs. Normally, with increase in capacity there’s usually a drop in reliability. For example, I never had an 8" floppy go bad on me, I had 2 maybe 3 bad 5.25" floppies, while I have tons of useless
3.5" some of which refused to format right out of the box… So, it’s
very encouraging that your mileage shows DVDs buck this trend!

However, although stability is, of course, a major concern I was more concerned with format incompatibilities. It’s the "if you use the proper recorder for the proper DVD disks" that worries me.

I’ve been following this closely and new drives are emerging offering (claiming?) reliable cross-format compatibility, but it’s very frustrating to see this format war which was totally unnecessary.

Especially when, for once, instead of the messy free-for-all the manufacturers initially agreed on a joint format which, granted, was a bit of a "committee" fudge, but at least in theory it offered a common reference standard.

Nevertheless, some would-be monopolists out there just couldn’t help themselves and caused this fragmentation. I guess, like the scorpion in that fable, it’s their nature…

Don.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:03:34 GMT, "Donald Link" wrote:

Just to butt in for a second, DVDs are stable if you use the proper recorder for the proper DVD disks. Prices are getting dirt cheap for the new drive that will record both DVD-R and DVD+R. I thought as you did but I am finding out the DVD, especially the DVD writable disks are so much more stable than CD writable. Prices for DVD disks can be picked up, on sale, for very economical prices, especially the recordable. Either recordable or writable will play on DVD players without a problem. There are even editing software that will allow you to burn photos and play them on your DVD player on you TV. Helps with those special people who do not have computers or DVD player on their computers. Convert the cds aprox 700 meg to the nearly 4.7 gig that you get on DVD and you will quickly see the difference. Recordable DVDs are the way to go if you can fill them up, otherwise you will DVD rewritable’s to add to at different sessions. Please do not dismiss the DVD solution until you have thourghly researched it my discussing with people who have used DVDs. Also, if anyone can offer any additional advise please do so.

One other thing I noticed in my various tests is that negatives, even though properly stored, seem to suffer much more physical damage than prints. This was not apparent to the naked eye, but once scanned all sorts of things were revealed. On the other hand, although physically in better shape, color prints tend to fade much faster than film.
Thanks again!

Don.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:44:13 GMT, "Jerry Beasley" wrote:

Don,
I’ve been through this exercise before as I did a similar project
with
boxes of my family photos. There are many valid arguments on appropriate scan size, but as you alluded to, you don’t necessarily know how your
images
will be used in the future. My blanket suggestion here is go as high resolution as you have time and patience for. CD-Rs are cheap, and as
you
pointed out, you can reduce the size later.
PE
phoney.email
Jul 28, 2003
Just a quick note. Format Jungle, Him Dead. He killed by Recorder using both -RW and +RW standards. It no longer problem. DVD now King of De Jungle 🙂

DVD manufacturer speak with forked tongue!
+/-RW recorder "write only" (WO)!

New +/-RW format name:
WORN – Write Once, Read Never) a.k.a.
WARN (sic) – Write Again, Read Not…

😉

Don.
L
larrybud2002
Jul 28, 2003

You have to remember that all electrical components have a tolerance. With resistors and capacitors, they are categorized with a tolerance rating either with 1, 5, or 10% (these are the most common). So, as the image is scanned (with a tolerance in the position of the scanner head), the electrical signals which are passed through these components differ slightly from one scan to another, resulting in different binary results.

Also remember that paper is not flat, it’s made of fibers. The paper fibers could have shifted enough to reflect the light differently. It could have been just from the vibration of the scanner.

A LOT of variables in scanning.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections