Walt_Atwood
Feb 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On 11/12/2003 8:13 PM, in article BBD84501.26F73%,
"" wrote:

I just bought a new iMac, Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner, and Adobe Creative Suite Premium (including Photoshop 8). I made light use of Photoshop Elements in the past, so I’m a little overwhelmed by the power and featuritis of the full-blown version.

My first experiment with getting these pieces to work together is to scan in an article in a small newspaper that is placed on two pages. Each portion of the article is too big for the Epson 2400’s Letter-size scanning area, so I had to scan the same page twice to get what was left out of the first scan of each. Thus, I have two tasks ahead of me:

1: learn full Photoshop, get into its features for both scanned images and photography.

2: learn how to stitch images together in Photoshop.

Any pointers on where to get started?

–WA

On 11/12/2003 8:59 PM, in article ,
"" wrote:

Walt,

I my humble opinion, there’s no need to pull Photoshop’s big guns to do the job you want to do.

Simply open both scans in Photoshop.
Crop each one to eliminate the extra stuff.
Determine the size of the canvas in each scan.
Increase the size of the first scan equal or greater than the size of the second one.
Use the Move Tool to drag scan 2 onto the empty space you created in scan 1. Postion it… Flatten it… Save it.

You’re done.

——————————————-

I must’ve missed something here.

I revisited this project and discovered I didn’t really have it altogether.

I tried pasting scan 2 into an expanded canvas for scan 1 and scan 2 would not move into place. Scan 2 appeared on top of scan 1 and seemed to block out scan 1.

Do I have to read up on Layers and try using that technique to get these scans to transparently overlap?

I ran into another issue: each scan required moving the newspaper on the scanner surface, so the article is no perfectly lined up horizontally. I’m able to get the pieces rotated reasonably well, but it’s still touch-and-go. (I’m using rotational increments in fractions of a degree.)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections