GH
Posted By
Glass Half Full
Sep 27, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A problem I "used" to have, or shall I say – a problem that occurred at low enough frequency that I did not let it bother me, has made a comeback but this time it is doing it practically all the time – irrespective of whether I am scanning 1 35mm slide or several.
Googling reveals other people have suffered similar problems but unfortunately no hard and fast answers.
The problem is simply that when I use my Coolscan V ED to import into Photoshop Elements 2 I need to close the Nikon Scan window(version
4.0.2)before I can edit the photos using Photoshop. When I do this, however,
it tends to close Photoshop as well and I lose all my scanned images in the process and have to start again. It is doing this 9 times out of 10 – which is clearly unworkable.
Things I have checked…
Driver file "scsiscan.sys" is present in the Windows/System32/Drivers file where I believe it should be (some noise on the web suggesting this can be an issue as can be deleted/moved when installing printers – I have never installed a printer to this p.c. anyway).
Tried setting Photoshop to work in Windows 2000 compatibility mode (another suggestion by someone)- no difference.
Tried removing NikonMonitor application from start-up programs (I do not use a Nikon digital camera and all this application does as far as I am aware is look out for a camera connection) – no difference.
My OS is WinXP Home Edition SP2…
The ONLY thing that has changed with my p.c. environment in recent weeks has been the installation of a new motherboard (identical spec to previous)- again I cannot see what difference that would make (yes, it did make a difference with my Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Reader software – they had to be re-registered due to the fact, I found later, that they record very detailed hardware logs within their DRM processes – they had assumed I had tried to install them on a new p.c. – that is another headache/topic of discussion altogether).

Is my problem with Photoshop/NikonScan a memory management issue? – Pretty certain it is not – I am running 1Gb RAM and a typical 35mm slide scan at 8bits is around 30MB file size.

I NEED to find an answer for this one!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JK
Jerry K
Sep 27, 2008
I scan to a file and THEN open up the scans in Photoshop. Lot faster and simpler. You can be scanning and, after one or two, start editing in Photoshop while the scanning slowly continues. Multitasking, sort of.

"Glass Half Full" wrote in message
A problem I "used" to have, or shall I say – a problem that occurred at low enough frequency that I did not let it bother me, has made a comeback but this time it is doing it practically all the time – irrespective of whether I am scanning 1 35mm slide or several.
Googling reveals other people have suffered similar problems but unfortunately no hard and fast answers.
The problem is simply that when I use my Coolscan V ED to import into Photoshop Elements 2 I need to close the Nikon Scan window(version
4.0.2)before I can edit the photos using Photoshop. When I do this,
however, it tends to close Photoshop as well and I lose all my scanned images in the process and have to start again. It is doing this 9 times out of 10 – which is clearly unworkable.
Things I have checked…
Driver file "scsiscan.sys" is present in the Windows/System32/Drivers file where I believe it should be (some noise on the web suggesting this can be an issue as can be deleted/moved when installing printers – I have never installed a printer to this p.c. anyway).
Tried setting Photoshop to work in Windows 2000 compatibility mode (another suggestion by someone)- no difference.
Tried removing NikonMonitor application from start-up programs (I do not use a Nikon digital camera and all this application does as far as I am aware is look out for a camera connection) – no difference. My OS is WinXP Home Edition SP2…
The ONLY thing that has changed with my p.c. environment in recent weeks has been the installation of a new motherboard (identical spec to previous)- again I cannot see what difference that would make (yes, it did make a difference with my Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Reader software – they had to be re-registered due to the fact, I found later, that they record very detailed hardware logs within their DRM processes – they had assumed I had tried to install them on a new p.c. – that is another headache/topic of discussion altogether).

Is my problem with Photoshop/NikonScan a memory management issue? – Pretty certain it is not – I am running 1Gb RAM and a typical 35mm slide scan at 8bits is around 30MB file size.

GH
Glass Half Full
Sep 28, 2008
I suppose I could do that (by the way, is it true that saving in jpeg at maximum quality level "12" is lossless??)- would prefer to know what is "broken" in the software though.
NS4 can scan at 14bit – would you recommend saving as 14bit/TIFF – bearing in mind I think PS Elements 2 cannot handle 14bit – will this mean that by opening a 14bit file with PS will cause more image quality degradation than say opening a file already saved in 8bit?

"Jerry K" wrote in message
I scan to a file and THEN open up the scans in Photoshop. Lot faster and simpler. You can be scanning and, after one or two, start editing in Photoshop while the scanning slowly continues. Multitasking, sort of.
4.0.2)before I can edit the photos using Photoshop. When I do this,
however, it tends to close Photoshop as well and I lose all my scanned images in the process and have to start again. It is doing this 9 times out of 10 – which is clearly unworkable.
Things I have checked…
Tried removing NikonMonitor application from start-up programs (I do not use a Nikon digital camera and all this application does as far as I am aware is look out for a camera connection) – no difference. My OS is WinXP Home Edition SP2…

RG
Roy G
Sep 28, 2008

Saving Jpegs at level 12, (Maximum in P’shop’s scale), is NOT lossless. The File size drops, doesn’t it.

It is so long ago, that I can’t remember if PsElements 2 can even open a 16 bit per channel file.
Files are 8 bit or 16 bit, even if the scanner or camera claims 12 or 14 bit. The additional bits are filled with zeros.

Roy G
GH
Glass Half Full
Jun 15, 2010
Was there ever a fix for this?

"Roy G" wrote in message

Saving Jpegs at level 12, (Maximum in P’shop’s scale), is NOT lossless. The File size drops, doesn’t it.

It is so long ago, that I can’t remember if PsElements 2 can even open a 16 bit per channel file.
Files are 8 bit or 16 bit, even if the scanner or camera claims 12 or 14 bit. The additional bits are filled with zeros.

Roy G

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections