CS
Posted By
Cliff_Skidmore
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently purchased a copy of PE2 Bible by Laurie Ulrich. Just when I though I was beginning to understand color management….

In the chapter on setting up the print dialog box for printing, I quote

"Typically, you leave this set as Same as Source, which means that the image prints based on your current monitor settings, with the color settings you established for the image when you scanned or created it from scratch."

I always thought color management should be set to your printer profile.

Can someone please answer this question: I scan a photo and then edit it in PE2. Does my image print based on the original scan or on my edited version of the scan?

This may be an obvious answer, but I’m not quite sure. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Cliff

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
brent_bertram
Mar 5, 2004
Cliff,
The image prints based upon your editted image. The "Same as Source" setting effectively bypasses color management. You are correct in your thinking that your Printer output space should be either your printer profile, or a media profile, or possibly "Printer color management" or " Postscript color management" depending upon the printer.
An awful lot depends upon the printer driver’s capabilities and it’s support for color management. Two good links on this are
< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm> <http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html>

The first link, Ian Lyons’ site, is succinct and to the point. A quick and useful read. The second link, Norman Koren’s site, is a longer, but just as interesting dissertation.

🙂

Brent
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Mar 5, 2004
Brent
Thanks for the quick reply. Just as I thought, so I tried a print with both settings and the printer profile is definitely superior. And thanks for the links.

Cheers
Cliff
BB
brent_bertram
Mar 5, 2004
Send money !! <G>
S
SayItAgain
Mar 5, 2004
What kind of printer are you using? I’ve been using an HP 970 and have been manually tweeking the saturation, etc in the printer driver. I’ve just ordered a Canon i960 that’s supposed to be able to individually tweek each color so now I’m really confused as to which way to go.

wrote in message
I recently purchased a copy of PE2 Bible by Laurie Ulrich. Just when I
though
I was beginning to understand color management….

In the chapter on setting up the print dialog box for printing, I quote
"Typically, you leave this set as Same as Source, which means that the image prints based on your current monitor settings, with the color
settings
you established for the image when you scanned or created it from
scratch."
I always thought color management should be set to your printer profile.
Can someone please answer this question: I scan a photo and then edit it in PE2. Does my image print based on the original scan or on my edited version of the scan?

This may be an obvious answer, but I’m not quite sure. Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Cliff
DS
Dick_Smith
Mar 5, 2004
Brent, here ya go…..

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
BB
brent_bertram
Mar 5, 2004
Time for another 6 pack of Sam Adams.
🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections