KK
Posted By
Ken_Kovak
Feb 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to Photoshop Elements and am having trouble figureing this out. I have a scanned 35 mm slide. When I go to Image_Resize_ Image Size Is see that Pixel Dimensions are 3245 x 2172 and the Document Size is 1.352 x 0.905 inches at 2400 pixels/inch.

What is the best way to resize this to create an 8×10 that I will print on a Canon i960?

Also, some crop will be needed to get to the aspect ratiio for a 8×10. The crop tool does not seem to show the aspect ration anywhere.

Thanks in advance
Ken Kovak

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 29, 2004
First, in order to get this scan large enough to make an 8 X 10, you’re going to have to resize. I just did a sample of the same size, and 265ppi will get you just above 8 inches in width so you can crop out your exact size.

When I’m unsure of what resolution to use to get my desired size, I like to play in Image>Resize>Image Size. First, make sure there is NO checkmark in the box next to Resample Image. Then start playing with different resolutions. Each time you reduce the resolution you’ll increase the dimensions of the image. Insert various number into the resolution box, and you’ll see what I mean. As I said, it looks to me like 265 will get you where you want to be.

Now to crop. When you select the Crop tool, you’ll see some settings appear on the Option Bar, just below the main menu. One of those can be used to set the resolution when you crop. For your first time through, I’d suggest you change the res as described above first and then type that number into the box so you don’t accidentally get any resampling when you do your crop. You’ll also see an area where you can set your width and height. You cannot choose a fixed size or fixed aspect ratio while using the Crop tool, although you could if you wanted to use the Rectangular marquee for cropping. Either will work, and I generally use the Rec marquee instead of the Crop tool, but the choice is yours.

I have a tendency to lead newcomers through tasks the "long way", because I think it introduces people to more features. Just because you learn it this way doesn’t mean that shortcuts you discover as you go along won’t work equally well.

If you’re still having trouble, please repost. Good luck!
J
jhjl1
Feb 29, 2004
Image>resize>image size, change ppi from 2400 to 270 with resampling unchecked. Use rectangular marquee tool set to fixed size and type in dimensions Height 8 in and Width 10 in. Depending on orientation of image you may need to reverse dimensions. This is one way to do it.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I am new to Photoshop Elements and am having trouble figureing this
out. I have a scanned 35 mm slide. When I go to Image_Resize_ Image Size Is see that Pixel Dimensions are 3245 x 2172 and the Document Size is
1.352 x 0.905 inches at 2400 pixels/inch.
What is the best way to resize this to create an 8×10 that I will
print on a Canon i960?
Also, some crop will be needed to get to the aspect ratiio for a 8×10.
The crop tool does not seem to show the aspect ration anywhere.
Thanks in advance
Ken Kovak
KK
Ken_Kovak
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks for the quick reply. Amazing how simple things are when someone shows you.

Ken

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections