F
Posted By
fjx1
Nov 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this is a beginner question but here goes.

I’d like to print an 8×10. The pic was taken with enough resolution to print at 300 dpi. When does one click resample, when not? I see different things in different books. Is constrain always checked?

Thanks,

Gerry

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
Corey
Nov 26, 2004
"Fjx1" wrote in message

I’d like to print an 8×10. The pic was taken with enough resolution to
print
at 300 dpi. When does one click resample, when not? I see different things
in
different books. Is constrain always checked?

Thanks,

Gerry

What is the size and resolution of the original? If it is one 0.8 inches by 1 inch at 300 ppi, and you change the size to 8 inches by 10 inches with resample unchecked, Photoshop will change the image to 8 inches by 10 inches at 30 ppi. Without resampling enabled, Photoshop does nothing to alter the pixels, it just alters the resolution. When resampling is enabled, Photoshop uses a formula to make an educated guess at how the image should be resampled. If you are reducing the size, Photoshop MUST remove some pixels since the new version will have less pixels, and resampling is it’s method. If you’re making the image larger, Photoshop will have to add pixels that weren’t in the original, and resampling is how it accomplishes this.

Constraining proportions is usually a good idea, since it maintains the ratio between height and width.

So my guess is that your image is much bigger than 0.8 by 1 inch and at a descent resolution. You should probably change the size with Resample Image checked as well as Constrain Proportions.

Another method would be to create a new file that is 8 by 10 at 300 ppi. Then drag your image into this one while holding down the SHFT key to center it. The press CTRL +T to resize, again holding the SHFT key to constrain proportions. Changing the size in this way uses resampling too.

Peadge 🙂
O
Odysseus
Nov 26, 2004
In article ,
(Fjx1) wrote:

I’d like to print an 8×10. The pic was taken with enough resolution to print at 300 dpi. When does one click resample, when not? I see different things in different books. Is constrain always checked?

The main reason for upsampling is to avoid the appearance of artifacts, _viz_ ‘pixelation’, due to inadequate resolution. This can’t create detail that wasn’t there to start with, of course, but it can make the ‘jaggies’ disappear, producing a reasonably smooth, albeit often somewhat blotchy, result. When upsampling by a large amount it’s generally best to do it in stages; my rule of thumb is to enlarge to no more than double the file size — about a 140% increase in the linear dimensions — in one go.

The three main reasons for downsampling are to reduce the file’s size, to prevent the rendering of details smaller than can be reproduced, and to make the appearance on screen a better predictor of the sharpness of the output. (I’m thinking of halftone screening for prepress as the intended destination: some different considerations apply to other types of imaging, like dithering as done by an inkjet printer or like the ‘stochastic’ screening sometimes used in high-end offset printing.)

Whenever in doubt, resize without resampling; in this case all you’re changing in effect is the rulers, the image itself remaining untouched — and it happens more or less instantly. Once you’re at the final print size you can evaluate the resolution, sharpness, &c., and decide whether resampling will be required.

Constraining proportions is the default, most likely to avoid the accidental distortion of an image by disproportionate scaling, which should be considered a ‘special effect’ rather than a standard behaviour.

Odysseus
B
bagal
Nov 26, 2004
Try this

\BratMan/\" wrote in message

with acknowledgements to /\BratMan/\

Aerticeus

"Fjx1" wrote in message

I’d like to print an 8×10. The pic was taken with enough resolution to print
at 300 dpi. When does one click resample, when not? I see different things in

Thanks,

Gerry
B
bagal
Nov 27, 2004
ps – if you really want to automate it save the action as a droplet

A

"Aerticeus" wrote in message
Try this

\BratMan/\" wrote in message

with acknowledgements to /\BratMan/\

Aerticeus

"Fjx1" wrote in message

I’d like to print an 8×10. The pic was taken with enough resolution to print
at 300 dpi. When does one click resample, when not? I see different things in

Thanks,

Gerry

T
tacitr
Nov 29, 2004
I’d like to print an 8×10. The pic was taken with enough resolution to print at 300 dpi. When does one click resample, when not?

In English, the word "resample" means "change the number of pixels." You click "resample" when you want to change the number of pixels–for example, to make the image smaller for Web use.

Changing the number of pixels, either upward or downward, does degrade the quality of the image. When you resample and create more pixels, Photoshop must "guess" what those pixels should be; it can never create new image detail that isn’t already there. As a result, the image becomes soft and blurry. When you resample downward, Photoshop throws away pixels, and in the process throws away image detail.

Is constrain always checked?

"Constrain" means "keep the picture the same shape." If you turn off "constrain," you will end up stretching or squashing the picture.

Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections