Is It Really Better to Resize Image and Canvas Before Printing???????

X
Posted By
xtx99
Aug 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it better to resize the image and canvas before printing? It may sound like a dumb question but it seems to me, that if I resize the image and canvas in Photoshop:

1) If I print the photo on my own printer, the printer’s software will essentially be resampling the photo data anyway (even if I correctly resize image and canvas to match printer resolution and photo paper size),

or

2) If I take the photo to a commercial printer, that printer’s software will resample the photo anyway AND the person processing the photo will resample it (adjusting brightness, color, etc.).
It would seem to me that one would be better off just letting the printer software resize the image and canvas of the photo (and therefore skip at least one unnecessary resampling which would needlessly decrease the quality of the photo). Thanks for any opinions either way.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

OF
Ola Forsstr
Aug 18, 2005
wrote:

Is it better to resize the image and canvas before printing? It may sound like a dumb question but it seems to me, that if I resize the image and canvas in Photoshop:
[…]
2) If I take the photo to a commercial printer, that printer’s software will resample the photo anyway AND the person processing the photo will resample it (adjusting brightness, color, etc.).

The commercial printing lab I send my images to has a table of the pixel dimensions their printer use for a particular print size. If I resize my images to those numbers before uploading, no resampling will be done. The advantage is that I can control the resizing process and apply suitable sharpening afterwards.

The Pro service I use does not modify the brightness or colors of the images in any way. By converting to the provided printer profile the colors in the print are spot on every time.

Ola
J
Jim
Aug 18, 2005
wrote in message

1) If I print the photo on my own printer, the printer’s software will essentially be resampling the photo data anyway (even if I correctly resize image and canvas to match printer resolution and photo paper size),
Your printer driver does far more than merely resampling. That is if it resamples at all.
Just send the file with the appropriate image size and the appropriate pixels per inch. Let the printer driver handle dithering details, etc. Jim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections