PC
Posted By
Patrick Cullinane
Dec 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone confirm if Adobe are about to release the next version of Photoshop CS3 as beta on Friday. Have a look at this

<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2301>

And then have a look at this

<http://photoshopnews.com/2006/12/11/taking-some-pto/>

I think something is going to happen.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
SteveV
Dec 13, 2006
I can confirm that I’ve read about it.
B
Bernie
Dec 14, 2006
I’d tell you, but then I’d have to shoot you, convert the resulting RAW file to JPEG and post it on my Fickr account 😛
J
JW1000
Dec 14, 2006
The release of CS3 as a public beta is fantastic news and a very smart move by Adobe.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 14, 2006
yea sure
P
progress
Dec 14, 2006
means they can don shields and take my flak or praise ealier in the cycle…but assuming its a strict beta, unless theres a serious bug then i expect the feature set will be locked down.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 14, 2006
I can confirm that an aussie read about it in post #1…
PC
Patrick Cullinane
Dec 14, 2006
I can now CONFIRM it is true
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 14, 2006
I think I will go to Asia and sleep on a beach for two months and think about how not to work anymore….

you go on and have fun.
JC
John_Cornicello
Dec 14, 2006
It is also on the Adobe web site:

Press Release < http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/2006 12/121406Photoshop.html>

John
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2006
Combined Levels and Curves in ONE palette!

Like the NikonScan interface and something that I have wanted for years to have in Photoshop.

THANK YOU Chris.

< http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscs2/photoshopcs3. htm>
G
gskibum
Dec 14, 2006
Ann, next time provide a warning to links with yellow type on red backgrounds!

🙂
IL
Ian_Lyons
Dec 14, 2006
Combined Levels and Curves in ONE palette!

Plus: –

a bunch of Preset curves, some of which you might find interesting

a checkbox to activate a clipping display

highlight/shadow clipping display like Levels (Option+drag highlight/shadow)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2006
For black type on a white ground with illustrations:
just Control-click on the icon and download the PDF to your Desktop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2006
The anticipation is killing me Ian and I shall find it hard to contain my impatience until tomorrow morning.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Dec 14, 2006
Might I suggest that you begin doing tomorrows chores tonight, that way you’ll have all of tomorrow to enjoy the next episode of… 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2006
Good idea.
Time to deck those halls … .

(Actually, that is exactly what I was doing before I got caught-up in the excitement of CS3!)
TG
The_Green_Hornet
Dec 15, 2006
No .psb support?
Your kidding right?
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 15, 2006
Where did you get "no .psb support" from?

Ann – I didn’t do the curves UI.
I was busy with bigger things.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 15, 2006
Well, I am thrilled that it was done — whoever did it!

🙂
R
Ram
Dec 15, 2006
OK, I’ve downloaded and installed them.

Photoshop CS3 looks good so far. It looks familiar, and the new features are intuitive enough to grasp.

Bridge CS3 I’m still struggling with. 🙁 First I need to get the interface working like CS2 did, and that is turning out to be a Chinese puzzle. I’ll go get some sleep and try again tomorrow.
P
progress
Dec 15, 2006
doesnt seem to want to install on 10.3.9…
S
solidfat
Dec 15, 2006
Where are you finding the link to the beta, I don’t see it when I log into labs.adobe.com?

(by the way the system requirements are clear on the press site they state 10.4.8 or later)
P
progress
Dec 15, 2006
havent found the press site….i just grabbed it from the labs

< https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5 Fphotoshop>

you need you adobe id
S
solidfat
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks progress, that worked nice.
P
progress
Dec 15, 2006
few things found so far…obviously not finished, but all the same, feedback is feedback

whats new doesnt show up on the PC version

warp still cant move bezier handles after a free transform, no way to add new handles

some filters allow the image to be moved after smart filter has been applied and the image gets updated, some dont, the effect is locked

now it seems all the filters i’ve come across can be re-invoked with cmd f (nice)

radial blur centre is image based on the smart filter, it ignores the selection centre, which is a different behaviour from when its normally applied…not so nice…but could be useful if it does mean moving the image afterwards to get the same effect, but could make the same effect impossible

radial blur hasnt been touched

image doesnt recenter in full window mode when you turn pallettes on and off (nice)…at least on the PC it doesnt

paths havent got anything new and theres still the hoop jump needed for them not to be transformed when a selection is active

new interface is nice
P
progress
Dec 15, 2006
found the new features in workspaces

at last we can have a choice of where we sample for cloning…nice
P
progress
Dec 15, 2006
bridge zoom feature is nice and bridge seems to flow better….at least i dont have icons jumping around is it makes the order up as it goes along
P
PShock
Dec 15, 2006
Couple of issues I’ve found.

Brush cursor options are limited to icon or precise – no brush size "circle".

Trying to move pallets (panels?) to a second screen – Info and Navigator turn into blank white rectangles when moved to the top of screen with no way to bring them back – have to go back to default workspace and try again. If these pallets are moved into the center area of the screen, or anywhere except the very top, they’re fine.

Mac Pro with 2 GB of RAM and the stock Nvidia card.

-phil
IL
Ian_Lyons
Dec 15, 2006

That’s a MacTel only issue that is being worked on. Folk still using PPC based Mac’s should find that resizing the Brush is dynamic and smooth (no more stabbing the square backet keys) 😉
EJ
Eric_J_Etheridge
Dec 15, 2006
I’d downloaded and installed on a Mac G4 laptop, but when I enter my CS2 serial number, I’m told it’s not valid. I doublechecked the number. It’s right.

Any tips?
Thanks
EE
P
PShock
Dec 15, 2006
Your CS2 serial won’t work with the beta. You use the CS2 serial to get the beta serial from here:

< https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs%5 Fphotoshop%5Fsn>
SM
stephane_mercier
Dec 15, 2006
On Mac Intel, PS warns about plug-ins not loaded at startup: those are for PPC only (except Watermark). I removed them from Adobe plug-ins folder to get rid of the message.

This thing totally rocks on a Mac Intel, nearly 3 times faster than my CS2 version on Retouch Artists Speed Test (57 sec vs 2 min 44 sec). I saw a post on Ars Technica forum from a guy doing this test in 29 sec on its MacPro 3 Ghz…

The fade out effect when ckicking on the Finder and the PS GUI hides is really nice.

Smart sharpen has now options for sharpening certain types of blur…

In preferences, graphic card is listed (for hardware video acceleration I presume), a range of available memory is recommended in the settings. More info about the scratch disks…

A lot of little improvements here and there… Much more new features than CS 2 when it hit market I think…
EJ
Eric_J_Etheridge
Dec 15, 2006
D’oh!
Thanks

EE
KS
Kristen_Sams
Dec 15, 2006
Where are you all getting it from? I’m on the labs site, and no CS3 Beta in sight. <http://labs.adobe.com/>
PC
Patrick Cullinane
Dec 15, 2006
D
Dirk
Dec 15, 2006
Forget the Labs site. Read post 32. Adobe just wants to throw you off
JS
Joshua_Shaw
Dec 15, 2006
Hey all-

I’ve downloaded & installed and have a quick question about import, specifically from an Epson 1640XL. I’ve downloaded and installed the latest driver, but I get a message that the TWAIN plugin is not loading since no TWAIN devices were found:

"Installed TWAIN devices: NONE"

The scanner works nicely in all of the other apps that I use (CS2 included).

Any clues about a solution? I realize this is a beta, so maybe that feature isn’t ready for prime-time yet.

OS X.4.8 (MacTel 3.0, 2GB RAM, all updates)

Thanks!
Joshua
KS
Kristen_Sams
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks Patrick!
CB
charles badland
Dec 15, 2006
I can’t install Beta CS3 because of the follow System Check message: "Installation cannot continue until the following applications are closed: TWAINBridge"

Any ideas?

EDIT:
Ah! Turn off my scanner.
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2006
Joshua don’t use photoshop to scan use the scanner software

you can work while scanning
SW
Steve_Werner
Dec 15, 2006
Note the minimum system requirement for the Mac is 10.4.8.
B
Bernie
Dec 15, 2006
Excellent update!
JT
John_Thawley
Dec 15, 2006
Maybe I missed this… where do you put your Plug-Ins? I moved things over from their old locations to the CS3 Plug-ins folder, restarted… but nothing.

Anyone have the answer to this?
B
Bernie
Dec 15, 2006
Disappearing curser(selection tools) bug remains.

Still cannot get a correct color from color picker when; The curser is in precise mode and you click and drag off the image. But I guess these are Adobe vs Apple issues.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 15, 2006
"Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file."

I merely tried to open a .bmp file. Hmmm…
JS
Joshua_Shaw
Dec 15, 2006
In reply to the "use the scanner software"…. That does work, but in my work-flow, I’m usually NOT doing composite/multi-layer images – it’s typically digitizing for patrons, so I’m only working on one image at a time. The extra time to jump between applications, while minimal, would add up over time.

Thanks for the thought, though.
Joshua
C
Cindy
Dec 15, 2006
There are a LOT of installation options. Are you guys installing everything?
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Dec 15, 2006
Regarding plug-in running under MacIntel & CS3, you’ll -NOT- be able to run any legacy plug-ins except under Rosetta until those plug-ins are updated to Universal Binary by the developer…
See Scott Byer’s blog: <http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/beta.html>
JX
Jim_X
Dec 15, 2006
My download came with something called Bootstrapper.dmg

Anyone know what this is? Any point in installing its contents/ any cost to not doing so?

Thanks in anticipation…
JX
Jim_X
Dec 15, 2006
you’ll -NOT- be able to run any legacy plug-ins except under Rosetta until those plug-ins are updated to Universal Binary by the developer…

Jeff, can you spell out what this will mean for the PhotoKit plug-ins when I run CS3 on my MacPro?
JS
Joshua_Shaw
Dec 15, 2006
Update on the scanner import issue. Despite the fact that epson labels the drivers for some of their scanners as ready for intel macs, they ARE NOT universal binaries. If you read the fine print, only the drivers for a certain few scanners are actually unibin. Well, hopefully epson will step up and make them all unibin by the time CS3 is finalized.

Joshua
B
bbrecelj
Dec 15, 2006
The Adobe site will not accept my CS2 serial number. I get the following reply:

"Sorry, but the serial number you entered is not eligible for the Photoshop CS3 Beta download. Please try your Photoshop CS2 serial number again, or, if you do not own a license for Photoshop CS2, you can purchase one on Adobe.com and use the serial number to download the Photoshop CS3 Beta."

The serial number is from a Creative Suite 2.3 Premium, bought in Europe. Are there any limitations for European users?

best regards,

Boris
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 15, 2006
yes
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2006
The serial number is from a Creative Suite 2.3 Premium

Is it a full Creative Suite or just an upgrade to 2.3
IL
Ian_Lyons
Dec 15, 2006
Anyone know what this is? Any point in installing its contents/ any cost to not doing so?

Ignore everything except Setup. Double click Setup and it will give you access to all of the install options and procedures.
B
bbrecelj
Dec 15, 2006
@Mike Ornellas – yes; as in CS3 beta not available for European users?

@Buko – full

br, b
JX
Jim_X
Dec 15, 2006
Ian Lyons wrote>Ignore everything except Setup. Double click Setup and it will give you access to all of the install options and procedures.

Thanks Ian. Just tried that but get a JavaScript Alert "Critical errors were found in setup Please see the Setup log file for details."

Any idea what’s happening here?
JX
Jim_X
Dec 15, 2006
Afterthought: Ian, were you referring to the PS Setup in the main folder, or the RI setup in the Bootdtrapper. It was the latter gave me the JS Alert
CH
claus_hyldal
Dec 15, 2006
The Adobe site will not accept my CS2 serial number. But I get the following reply:

————————-
Sorry, but the serial number you entered is has already been used for the Photoshop CS3 Beta download. Please try your Photoshop CS2 serial number again, or, if you do not own a license for Photoshop CS2, you can purchase one on Adobe.com and use the serial number to download the Photoshop CS3 Beta.
————————-

Strange… as I have a CS2 package containing an eleven volume license serial number?

Anyone knows how to reach Adobe? Customer Service apparently "died" 🙂 (All i got was +30 minutes of easy listening. Ussh).
SB
Scott_Byer
Dec 15, 2006
wrote:
doesnt seem to want to install on 10.3.9…

No, 10.3.x is not supported. There are newer APIs that were needed.

-Scott
WG
William_G_Chinn
Dec 15, 2006
I have PS CS2 registered in the US and verified in MY ACCOUNTS. When trying to register CS3 beta with the CS2 serial number I also get rejected. NEED A HELP ANSWER as Customer Service said they don’t have any answers to this problem, and I said I would pass the word not to call them. We entered the serial number as a cut/paste from MY REGISTRATION and as a manual entry but both were rejected.
SB
Scott_Byer
Dec 15, 2006
wrote:
Couple of issues I’ve found.

Brush sizes cursors is a known issue with the beta. It will be fixed for release, no worries.

-Scott
SB
Scott_Byer
Dec 15, 2006
Tom Murray 1 wrote:
Disappearing curser(selection tools) bug remains.

On PPC, this is a known OS bug that should get fixed soon.

-Scott
SB
Scott_Byer
Dec 15, 2006
wrote:
The Adobe site will not accept my CS2 serial number. I get the following reply:

There were some issues with the download pages found overnight, which is why the links from the Adobe Labs front pages aren’t there yet. It is being worked on.

-Scott
IL
Ian_Lyons
Dec 15, 2006
Afterthought: Ian, were you referring to the PS Setup in the main folder, or the RI setup in the Bootdtrapper. It was the latter gave me the JS Alert

"Ps Setup" is the only file you need touch – do not fiddle with the other files.
JX
Jim_X
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks, Ian

Jim
P
Phosphor
Dec 15, 2006
Scott Byer…

Thanks for your feedback here in the Forum.

I read your blog entry <http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/12/beta_1.html> late last night regarding the Rosetta/plugin/brush cursor issues, and I appreciate your candor. Keep writing, and we’ll keep reading!

I might suggest to others here that (If they don’t already visit regularly) they should bookmark John Nack’s (Senior Product Manager for Photoshop) blog. It’s a good bet that as announcements are made, his blog will be the first place to carry them.

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/is_the_cs3b_dow.html>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks Phos for that suggestion. I’ve subscribed to the RSS feed.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 15, 2006
Scott Byer:

Just one disappointment: Tthe History palette in the CS3 Beta still does not have separate scroll bars for the Snapshot and State sections.

Any hope that this can be fixed before CS3 finally ships because this is a feature that I desperately NEED — as you and I discussed on the day that CS2 shipped.

8/
PC
Patrick Cullinane
Dec 15, 2006
Boris, I’m in Europe and I had no problem with my CS2 serial number.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Dec 15, 2006
Love the new UI.

Glad to see that the cursor issue on the Mac-Intels is known and being worked on. It does load faster on the Intel-Mac and seems to be smoother in almost every aspect.

Disappointments…. Warp is really no better than CS2.. I was hoping for more control.

Still can’t link a Smart Object to a layer mask. REALLY wanted that one.

Nice work guys. Really! It’s obviously a big step forward despite my measly disappointments.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 15, 2006
Its a beta Scott….

Adobe is doing things differently this time around.

Some refinements or minor features may still make it before the final release.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 15, 2006
I find that the auto palette-hiding can be a little tricky if you like to keep your Dock in the right-hand margin of your screen — as I do.

I would like to be able to auto-hide palettes in the bottom edge of the screen as well.
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2006
CS3 seems a little snappier than CS2 g5 dual core.

Is this wishful thinking or has anyone else noticed it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 15, 2006
They don’t appear to be active yet, but it seems that Adobe are setting-up special CS3 Discussion Forums:
<http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 15, 2006
VERY "snappy" here too!

B)
IL
Ian_Lyons
Dec 15, 2006
The beta forums are now up and running, so please post our CS3 related queries and info on there.

Link to Photoshop CS3 Forum < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm? forumid=72&catid=626&entercat=y>

Link to Bridge CS3 Forum < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm? forumid=72&catid=627&entercat=y>

Thanks,

Ian
C
Cindy
Dec 15, 2006
Oh noooo. I think I figured out how they are going to transfer all the Adobe style forums to the Macromedia style forums. As programs get updated.
JC
John_Cornicello
Dec 15, 2006
No, that is NOT the case. Right now all the beta and Lab forums are over there. Final consolidation of the forums is still being worked on.

John
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 15, 2006
Please post bugs that you find (and read the release notes first to see if it’s a known problem) via the bug report forms in the Photoshop or Bridge CS3 forums.
R
Ram
Dec 16, 2006
Ann,

I find that the auto palette-hiding can be a little tricky if you like to keep your Dock in the right-hand margin of your screen

The trick is to hide the Dock. I’ve set it up that way from day one. It stays totally out of sight at the bottom of the screen and it pops up when I move the mouse to the bottom. I can’t imagine putting up with the Dock any other way.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 16, 2006
Oh yes my Dock is configured exactly the same way — except that I prefer to have it on the RHS, instead of the bottom, of the Screen.

I also have it set to stay open or disappear (as required) on a Control D keystroke.

But a keeping a very full (although miniaturized) Dock on the RHS does make it a little tricky to toggle CS3’s new auto palette-hiding.
CB
charles badland
Dec 16, 2006
I wonder if final Mac PS CS3 Palettes minimize and close buttons will remain on the right side? (a la Windows).
I’ve twice already accidentally closed a palette while trying to access its menu.
D
Dirk
Dec 16, 2006
Can the Dock be moved to a second monitor if you have one or are you stuck where there are?
B
Buko
Dec 16, 2006
Try the Dock on the left side Ann.

I have found that it is much more convenient.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Dec 16, 2006
Dock on the left and auto-hiding is my preferred location, especially with the new widescreen displays where vertical space is challenged.

Can the Dock be moved to a second monitor if you have one or are you stuck where there are?

Yes you can put the dock on your second monitor.
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 16, 2006
The Dock is about as customizable as it can be short of developing a module yourself.

When one saves a workspace, is it saved to general Prefs, or some other file?
R
Ram
Dec 16, 2006
It’s a different file, because you do NOT lose any saved workspace when you reset or trash your preferences.
D
Dirk
Dec 17, 2006
So does anybody know the trick to move the dock to my second monitor? It won’t budge!
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2006
What Dock are you talking about? Apple’s? If you’re talking about CS3 beta, drop by the CS3 beta forum. CLICK HERE < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm? forumid=72&catid=626&entercat=y>
D
Dirk
Dec 18, 2006
The dock in CS3. I’ll post it in the CS3 beta forum, thanks…
S
SteveV
Dec 18, 2006
So, is the ability to select multiple channels and delete them an option now?
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
Steve,

Check in the CS3 beta forum. I wouldn’t even know why or how to delete multiple channels. :/

CLICK HERE < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm? forumid=72&catid=626&entercat=y>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections