CH
Posted By
cg_hammett
Sep 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I downloaded Camera Raw 4.5 Plug in, which is needed for the beta Camera Profiles installation. CR 4.5 is definitely in the right place and working fine. According to Adobe FAQ, beta Camera Profiles belong in the Adobe folder in Camera Raw. I copy here:

Where are the new profiles installed on my computer?

On Mac OS X:
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

I do not have CR 4.5 in my Adobe folder, only in Plug ins. I do still have CR v 4 in the Adobe folder, but not v 4.5.

My question is… does the beta version of Camera Profiles automatically put Camera Raw 4.5 in the Adobe folder, or do I need to do something to get CR 4.5 there. I’ve already messed up on the download/installation of Camera Profiles by moving it into CR 4.5 the plug-in folder. When I realized my error, I have trashed that.

Can someone give me some input here ? I’m clueless. This is not a BIG DEAL, as I’m getting along fine with CS3. I;m just curious to know how CR 4.5 gets in the Adobe folder>

Thanks
carolyn

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Sep 22, 2008
First of all, you should really be on ACR 4.6.

The instructions for installing the profiles are on the download page:

CLICK HERE < http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles#Downloads_ and_Installation>

Lastly, you are in the wrong forum here. You should really be posting in the ACR forum:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?13@@.3bb6a869>
R
Ram
Sep 22, 2008
Oh, you only need ONE instance of the ACR plug-in. It should be in:

Photoshop CS3
Mac: ROOT LEVEL (name of your hard disk/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS3/File Formats/Β…

Under no circumstances should you have any other instance of ACR installed. Yes, you have to delete the old one that gets installed by default when you install Photoshop.
CH
cg_hammett
Sep 22, 2008
I have I only have ONE copy of ACR plug in installed and it is v 4.5 which is what the Adobe site indicated to do. IT is in exactly the place you mention and is working perfectly. My question related to the new beta Camera Profiles. Thanks for the input here. I will check the forum you mention. I’m new here so sorry to have made this mistake.

carolyn
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 22, 2008
I downloaded Camera Raw 4.5 Plug in, which is needed for the beta Camera Profiles installation. CR 4.5 is definitely in the right place and working fine.>

That is in:
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS3/File Formats/Camera Raw.plugin

and it does say v.4.5? And you did remove the earlier plug-in as in these instructions?

Mac: 1. Exit Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge.
2. Open the Finder.
3. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the userΒ’s home folder).
4. Navigate to Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats.
5. Move the existing plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure
you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download into the same folder as in Step 4.
7. Launch Photoshop CS3 or Adobe Bridge.>

As you stated, your new Camera Profiles should now be in: Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles.

My question is… does the beta version of Camera Profiles automatically put Camera Raw 4.5 in the Adobe folder, or do I need to do something to get CR 4.5 there.

If you followed those instructions, that is all that you need to do, although I do suggest that you also run Disk utility/Repair Permissions after installing new software.

When you restart Bridge, and go to the CameraRaw Preferences, you should see that you are now running ACR 4.5
R
Ram
Sep 22, 2008
Carolyn,

Again: You should be running ACR 4.6. What you read earlier is obsolete now.

This is what you wrote, which threw (throws) me off:

I do still have CR v 4 in the Adobe folder, but not v 4.5.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 22, 2008
The ACR 4.6 upgrade is a little hard to find on the Adobe site but it is here:

<http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_4.6>
R
Ram
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks a bunch, Ann. πŸ™‚

Carolyn has already made her way to the ACR forum.
CH
cg_hammett
Sep 22, 2008
Thanks Ann and Ramon

I found the reference to v 4.6. It was not there at the time I downloaded v 4.5. I had an interruption before installing v 4.5 and it must have appeared then. Since v 4.6 appears to me to be a beta version, I think I will just wait till all this settles out and deal with it then.

As for Ramon’s question re: my having ACR v 4 still in the Adobe Folder, see below. I pulled the old ACR v 4.3.1 out of the Plug-ins folder before I installed v.4.5 there under Adobe / Plug ins / CS3 /File Formats/ Camera Raw Plugin. I only noticed that I had a Camera Raw v.4 in the Adobe folder when I downloaded the beta Camera Profiles and put them in that folder. Realizing my mistake, I took the Camera Profiles and put them in the only place where I had v. 4.5, which was in Plug ins folder. That was incorrect, as I learned from the FAQ site. I copy a portion here showing Camera Raw 4 next to the bottom. I now definitely have v. 4.5 installed and running. Like I said, I don’t know how to get another version of ACR in the Adobe folder. That is my basic question. I assume SOME version of ACR needs to be in the Adobe folder ?

Acrobat
Adobe Anchor Service
Adobe Asset Services CS3
Adobe PCD
Adobe PDF
Adobe Registration Database
Adobe Version Cue CS3
adobe_pds.plist
AdobeDefaultLanguage.txt
backup
Bridge CS3 Extensions
Camera Raw 4
caps
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 22, 2008
Like I said, I don’t know how to get another version of ACR in the Adobe folder. That is my basic question. I assume SOME version of ACR needs to be in the Adobe folder ?

Nothing more is needed Β— other than the two files which I mentioned in my previous Posting.

If you choose to install Adobe DNG Converter, that goes into your Applications Folder as a separate stand-alone Application.
CH
cg_hammett
Sep 22, 2008
OMG…. I am getting out of my depth here. I didn’t know about that. You guys are so very helpful, but far ahead of me in this stuff. I do pretty well with CS3 and thought it would be fun to try the new Camera profiles, but never thought I’d get into all this.

I have a friend who installed ACR 4.5 and beta Camera Profiles without any problems and didn’t install Adobe DNG Converter. I have her screen shot and it does not show that.
CH
cg_hammett
Sep 22, 2008
Hi helpful / patient friends

I just posted a "have to go cook dinner" message on the other forum. So will get back to this later on the other forum. I’m kind of mixed up on what is where right now anyway and need to sort out some of this input.

Later…. carolyn
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 22, 2008
I have a friend who installed ACR 4.5 and beta Camera Profiles without any problems and didn’t install Adobe DNG Converter. I have her screen shot and it does not show that.

In that case, i think that we can assume that the Profiles get installed automatically when you install the ACR 4.6 Plug-in.

One thought:

You did install that Plug-in in the Root-level
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats/

and NOT in your User’s similarly named Library folder didn’t you?

Have you checked your CameraRaw Prefs in Bridge to see which version of ACR you now have installed?
CH
cg_hammett
Sep 22, 2008
Absolutely I have the plug in installed at Root level. Showed the path on the other thread. I feel like a one-armed paper hanger keeping up with both threads !!

I have ACR v. 4. 5.0.175 installed according to Bridge CameraRaw Prefs.

Just THOUGHT I was going to cook dinner ! πŸ™‚
SK
Steph_Kimball
Sep 22, 2008
Why is everyone so insistent about v4.6? If you don’t need support for recently released cameras, what is the big deal? At this point, she needs to figure out why the camera profiles are not showing up in ARC.

Snip:

Release Notes

1. Newly supported camera models include:
* Fuji Finepix IS Pro
* Nikon D700
* Nikon D90
* Nikon Coolpix P6000
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 22, 2008
Steph,

Other features (such as slider controls) are sometimes added/modified/improved with subsequent iterations.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2008
At this point, she needs to figure out why the camera profiles are not showing up in ARC.>

They almost certainly are "showing-up": ACR is automatically applying the correct Camera profile for her camera as embedded in the EXIF data.

When you go to the Camera Calibration Tab in ACR, what do you see?

Bridge shows that Carolyn’s CameraRaw Preferences are indeed for ACR 4.5.

I have just checked the Camera Profiles that are in:

Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles.

and all of them are related to DNG so you may. or may not, see Camera Profiles in that folder if you have not installed Adobe DNG Converter.
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
Steph,

Why is everyone so insistent about v4.6?

Because of unheralded improvements and unacknowledged bug fixes that each ACR release brings along.

ACR 4.6 has passed the mere beta stage, it’s now RC (Release Candidate) and is perfectly safe. If Carolyn is going to have to go through this agony (for her), she’s better off doing it to the most advance version she possibly can.
SK
Steph_Kimball
Sep 23, 2008
There appears to be some confusion here. The poster is not asking about ARC. She is inquiring about the recently released BETA CAMERA PROFILES which may be chosen in lieu of ARC.

The aforementioned profiles are NOT showing up. The recently released BETA camera profiles should be listed/shown UNDER in the drop down menu and offer camera specific adjustments such as landscape, portrait, neutral, standard, vivid. These are camera specific to Nikon, Canon, etc.

The suggestions posted here seem to focus on worrying about which version of ARC is installed when clearly Adobe has only required v4.5 to utilize the camera profiles. The Adobe documentation clearly states this. For the recently released camera profiles to work, a user need only have ARC 4.5 installed.

My understanding is that the original poster needs assistance with finding out why the BETA CAMERA profiles are not available after installation.

A snip taken from Adobe’s website:

What happened to the older profiles (e.g., ACR 3.3, ACR 4.4)?

They’re still around (we didn’t delete them) and you can still use them if you prefer.

What version of Camera Raw or Lightroom do I need to use the new profiles?

CR 4.5 / LR 2.0 (final release) or later. The new profiles will NOT work correctly with earlier versions of CR / LR, because they do not fully support DNG 1.2. In particular, the new profiles will NOT work correctly with the public beta of Lightroom 2.0.
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
Ann,

and all of them are related to DNG so you may. or may not, see Camera Profiles in that folder if you have not installed Adobe DNG Converter.

Nope.

The installation of the DNG Converter has nothing to do with the profiles.

The beta profiles come with an installer of their own. The DNG Converter has no installer as it’s a stand-alone utility.

The profiles are available for Canon and Nikon at this time, no Pentax, Fuji or Olympus, etc.
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
Stephen,

You’re the one who is mightily confused. πŸ™‚

the recently released BETA CAMERA PROFILES which may be chosen in lieu of ARC

Assuming "ARC" is a typo for ARC, the beta camera profiles are used in ARC, inside Camera Raw, not in lieu of. The new profiles, once installed appear IN the Calibrate Tag in ACR, alongside any profiles there may be there for your camera profile.

If you do NOT have a raw file generated by a camera supported by ACR 4.6 (I’ll forget about ACR 4.5 for good now), you WILL NOT see the profiles appear in the dropdown menu in the calibrate tag.

I suggest you take this discussion to the ACR forum, where it belongs, and where the ACR team hangs out, participates very actively and will be able to set you straight.

You are adding to the confusion here, Steph, because you are confused yourself. If you go over to the ACR forum, you will be able to interact with the creator of ACR and Photoshop, Thomas Knoll, with ACR programmer Eric Chan, and with the man who literally wrote the book on Adobe Camera Raw, Jeff Schewe.
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
PLEASE, continue this discussion in the ACR forum, not here. Thank you.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections