I forgot to Deactivate the CS3 Beta before uninstalling…

RP
Posted By
Rick_Popham
Apr 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
….anybody know if this will cause a problem with a CS3 install?

Will it go on my Permanent Record? 8-0

Thanks,

Rick

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2007
me too. found out about it reading the clean script read me AFTER using add remove programs. nice.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 25, 2007
No, this should not pose a problem. The only thing to be aware of, AFAIK, is that upon installing the final version of PSCS3, the beta serial will automatically load. Replace this with the retail serial and you are good to go.
RP
Rick_Popham
Apr 25, 2007
Whew!

Thanks, Mathias.

Dave — That’s exactly what I did.

Rick
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2007
mat, any word if that will count as 1 cs3 activation even though it was a beta that wasn’t unactivated?
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 25, 2007
Dave, I think they disregard beta serials. I have not heard about any grave consequences for not deactivating the beta (and I suspect mey ppl dont).
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2007
cool. hope so…
WE
Wolf_Eilers
May 3, 2007
Now that the Ps CS3 beta has expired how does one deactivate it, or has it been confirmed that will not be necessary to install the released version?

This TechNote does recommend deactivating CS3 before installing:

< http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=kb40 1492>
JJ
John Joslin
May 3, 2007
Wolf

It tells you how in the TechNote to which you linked!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 3, 2007
Not really. You cannot open Beta to deactivate once the notice of expiration is posted on startup. Click ok and evrything goes away.I did it last night.
JJ
John Joslin
May 3, 2007
Hmmm. I suppose it would be expecting too much for Adobe to have arranged that, from 3rd May, all CS3 beta activations are cancelled.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 3, 2007
That’s what they did. Some of us got emails warning of it, some didn’t (like me). I was under the impression that the Beta would not be deactivated, just unsupported.

Silly me for believing that! I’m almost 70 and still believe in genies too!:D
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 4, 2007
Well my PS10 died today with ‘Product License Expired’ so I guess I did forget to deactivate that Beta 🙁

Tried uninstalling/reinstalling PS10 twice and both failed with the same popup. I’m now at the stage where I’ve uninstalled a *third* time, ran the CS3Clean.exe app and then searched for any traces of that critter (tried to smoke it out of its hole). I *think* it’s gone. But before I spend any more time I’m waiting for Adobe Support to get back to me with whatever *secret* file needs to be deleted to kill the beta activation.

Why does PS10 take soooo long to install and uninstall. Never seen anything so pokey…

In the meantime, if anyone knows the fix, I’ll be very grateful.

Russell
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 4, 2007
Problem resolved :-)))

I set the date on my computer clock back 2 days, reinstalled the PS10 Beta, deactivated it, uninstalled the PS10 beta, ran the ‘CS3Clean.exe’ tool (just to be sure it was most sincerely dead) and then reinstalled the release version of PS10. I was back in Kansas 🙂 Everything works now.

Russell
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
May 4, 2007
Russell,

Did you remember to plug in the final serial number when installing the retail version? If you did not de-activate the Beta, the Beta serial number would automatically be plugged in, and if you accepted it, you’d still be running the beta.
RP
Russell_Proulx
May 4, 2007
Did you remember to plug in the final serial number when installing the retail version?

Yes. When I went to install the retail version, after deactivating and removing the Beta, I was presented with the usual "Enter your serial #" and of course I used the one that came with the retail version.

Russell
JI
john_ingato
May 31, 2007
I have the same problem. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, tried the cs3 cleaner, manually deleted registry files. Nothing works. I’d like to try setting back the clock and reinstalling the beta and then deactivating it but I don’t have the beta installer or my serial any more. I deleted it. So know what do I do. Am I just stuck with a product that will never work again?
JJ
John_Joslin
May 31, 2007
Several people reported successful CS3 installations after forgetting to de-activate the beta.

Activation should have no effect on Installation.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections