Posted By
Pat_Gilmour
Nov 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I’m tring to eliminate a particular state in the History palette. I’ve needed to do this again and again but have never worked out how to.
Basically, what I do goes something like this:
-I have an image on a non-locked background layer.
-I draw something on that layer.
-I add a new layer on top and I draw something on that layer too. So I now have two layers. What I want to do is to revert the lower layer to the state it was in before I drew on it, but without getting rid of the new layer and it’s artwork.
Obviously, I should have done the drawing on the background layer on a layer of its own, that way I could simply have deleted it, but my question is more general: how do I delete a particular step in the actions palette without deleting what comes after it?
I’ve tried using the "non-linear" history option and deleting the drawing step, but when I then go to the last step in the history palette, it adds the drawing back in again.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Pat

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 6, 2006
In actions, just select the step you want to delete, and delete it.

And it sounds like you don’t understand how the history palette works…
E
eltee
Nov 6, 2006
– duplicate to a new document the top drawing layer
– go back in the history of the main document to the state before the drawing you don’t want – drag the good over…
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Nov 6, 2006
Eltee, that was the solution I was looking for, thanks. I was kind of hoping there was a way of doing this within the history palette without leaving the document.

Chris, I think my post was a little unclear – apologies – but Eltee managed to decipher it. I’m pretty happy using the History Palette in general, but I thought there might be a way of doing what Eltee outlines within the palette.

Thank you to both of you for your time.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections