Non linear history. Removing one history state only.

S
Posted By
spiffy
Jun 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In the history palette I would like to be able to delete (or undo) one history state without losing everything that I have done after that state. The Photoshop user manual specifically says select "Allow Non-Linear History" from history options in the history palette menu "to make changes to a selected state without deleting the states that come after. By recording states in a nonlinear way, you can select a state, make a change to the image, and delete just that state." Perhaps I have not understood this but in my experimenting this just does not seem to work. Lets say I have created 50 history states but then decide that I don’t like what I did in state 25 but want to keep states 26 through 50. With "Allow Non-Linear History" enabled I delete state 25 and then proceed to continue where I left off with state 50. The result is state 25 is removed from the history palette yet it’s effect still shows in the image. Perhaps the purpose of the non linear history is just to hide a state from the history palette and doesn’t actually remove it from the image. I don’t understand what would be the use of this though. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?

I use Photoshop CS on Mac 10.3.4

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 25, 2004
History is not an edit list — it’s a history.

Non Linear History does just what it says.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 25, 2004
I am not sure what the use of it is. It does do exactly what it says if you think about it.

I suppose you could use it to set up alternative history lines (for comparison) and delete unneeded history states to reduce clutter without destroying the results of those states.

Comping Layers seems to me much the same thing, but I haven’t used them at all yet.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections