Posted By
tenderoni_tony
Nov 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
<http://www.customposterdesigns.com/products.html>

I’m a long time PS user and can figure out most of how this guy is making these posters pop (particularly the top two), but I have a few questions:

1) how is he doing the the background gradient over/on the background photo. As well, his colors are highly vibrant, i can’t seem to get mine that rich.

2) I assume the school/team text is done using the type mask tool and emboss filters.

3) The front full-color images look almost screened, like for t-shirt printing, what is he doing to those that get them so dramatically lit? Do you think he set up studio shots for examples for the website?

His business is for photographers to send images to him and he creates these posters, but I would be very intrigued to see what kind of quality he gets from poorly lit photos. It’s a good business because once he sets up the filters and scripts he can crank them out pretty easily.

The middle two aren’t as difficult, though I’d still like to know how he’s doing the background images.

The last two are easily done.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PH
Paul_Hokanson
Nov 8, 2006
Tony,

The rich colors that he displays look great on screen, but they are also out-of-gamut for most printers. Displaying colors like these is filling prospective clients with false hopes of actually getting that sort of color on a reflective print (without spending lots of money on special print processes).

The gradients are straight forward (and you can get the gradient over the photo by applying it to its own layers above a desaturated photo and then setting it to "colorize" blend).

The main image of each athlete in his samples are well-exposed photos in nice contrasty light. The only one that looks lit with strobes is the basketball image. Using low contrast, poorly-lit, or poorly made photos will give much different results.

And this work still requires masking and at least one clipping path per poster, so total automation of the process is still very difficult. His prices are very fair for this reason.
C
CygnusX1
Nov 8, 2006
It’s just a multitude of basic Photoshop techniques and layers/blends etc.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections