GL
Posted By
glenn_losack
Nov 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
after months of trouble free pshop cs2 on a QUAD with 4 GB RAM recently added CR3.6.
repaired perms
verified disk
ran disk warrior
re installed a new CS2
detached all external fwires

any other app works
if i load pshp cs2 most features work
if i load one image and grab the paintbrush and try to use any of the numbers to control opacity i can no longer do anymore with the program
it freezes up.. Raw images load as do jpegs as do tiffs but if i try to use the numbers to control i get freezing
I cannot for the life of me understand what happened.
What is left to do?
(erasing the drive?)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Nov 7, 2006
Did you trash the Photoshop preferences before re-installing? Otherwise you end up right back where you started.

It’s quite possible that trashing the preferences is all you need now.
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 7, 2006
Ramon

bless you
but this is not doing it
im at my wits end
in the last 11 years i have never experienced this
everything goes smoothly trashed everything in library >prefs or pref panes that had adobe or .comadobe in the name of the file then relaunced
images load
then i go to a brush and work a curve lets say
then use brush with layer mask and hit 1 to affect the opacity and it all freezes….. what else would you recommend
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 7, 2006
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/312917.html>

I’ve got this one on the wall….might help you find that last pref….
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 7, 2006
Phil

did not fix it held shift opt command while pshop cs2 started up and deleted

if i hit B for brush and then hit any of the numbers
freezes pshop
GL
glenn_losack
Nov 7, 2006
did it
still freezing
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 7, 2006
Just to clarify….(and I am not expert here…)

I believe that if you delete all prefs in the list I posted, THEN delete and reinstall, you will have a ‘clean slate’. If you have reinstalled and then run the program before clearing prefs, you might not resolve problem. A restart in between would probably be a good idea.

Does it still happen with a different user?
B
Buko
Nov 7, 2006
Does it still happen with a different user?

I was just going to ask this.

This should be one of the first things you ask your self and can save you much time.
PT
Phil_Taz
Nov 7, 2006
("Buko’s Boilerplate")

BTW, Buko, have you heard of a ‘fix’ for a corrupted user? Or is it that user-specific prefs are broken and therefore unrepairable….

In other words, if it was ok in another user, do you just create a new user and forget the corrupt one?
B
Bernie
Nov 8, 2006
In other words, if it was ok in another user, do you just create a new user and forget the corrupt one?

That’s what I’d do (only had to do it once one someone else’s machine though)
B
Buko
Nov 8, 2006
I found it is faster to do an Archive and install than make a new user and copy everything to the new user then make sure all permissions are changed on the files. about 45 minutes compared to a couple of hours.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections