RM
Posted By
Rick Moore
Nov 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I open preferences, I get a ‘ghosted’ version of the close, minimize, and maximize buttons in the top right corner. The ‘ghosted’ version is on top and takes focus, the ‘real’ version doen’t work.
I don’t have to do anything in preferences, just open and close it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

F
Freeagent
Nov 4, 2008
If there ever was a time to reset preferences, this is it 😉
PB
Paul_Budzik
Nov 4, 2008
I see exactly the same behavior.

Paul
RM
Rick Moore
Nov 4, 2008
Resetting the prefs had no effect, it’s a brand new install
PB
Paul_Budzik
Nov 4, 2008
I’m assuming Freeagent was kidding and making a comment on the problems with CS4, at least that’s what it seemed to me.

Paul
F
Freeagent
Nov 4, 2008
Half joke, half serious. It was worth a shot. Resetting prefs is among the first things I try when something odd is going on.
RM
Rick Moore
Nov 6, 2008
FYI
I was unable to reproduce this on my Vista64 home machine

Paul, are you running XP?
PB
Paul_Budzik
Nov 6, 2008
Derrick,

Yes XP sp3. Until CS4 I’ve gotten by without sp3, and I suspect XP is the worse for the update.

Paul
ND
Nick_Decker
Nov 6, 2008
Yup, I see it on XP Pro SP3. I hadn’t mentioned it until now because it’s not a big problem for me. Just weird.
RM
Rick Moore
Nov 7, 2008
XP SP3 on my work machine also. I see from previous posts that Freeagent is running Vista64. Anyone else running XP that can verify this?
KN
Keith_Nuttall
Jan 28, 2009
Besides the ghost buttons at the top-right, I occasionally see a line running through the top toolbar too. I see this problem on two completely different PC hardware setups, with and without OpenGL support switched on. One is a self-built Core2 Duo with an nVidia card, the other is a Lenovo Thinkpad with integrated Intel graphics. Both are running XP Pro SP3. I tried trashing Ps prefs and updating video drivers. It seems to be a bug in Photoshop. There’s a lot of common software between the computers, but I’m not flattening one just to troubleshoot a graphics problem in CS4. I’m surprised I haven’t read about this bug more widely.
HB
harold_berm
Jan 28, 2009
XP SP3 here, I can reproduce the problem also.

Thanks for the info. I never noticed any trigger before…just the occasional extra set of buttons.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 28, 2009
Both the ghost buttons and the line here too. They disappear when I minimise and maximise the window.

I don’t worry about them. From all the bugs/side effects described here this is to me the least annoying. (the other, more serious ones have past my door)

XP SP3 here too.

Rob
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 28, 2009
Do you have any third party plugins installed?
Try disabling those (remove them from the plugins folder).
HB
harold_berm
Jan 29, 2009
Chris – I always keep all my third party plugins in a separate location on my main drive.

I unchecked the option for additional plugins, exited then restarted PS. Opened then closed prefs without any changes (didn’t re-enable the plugins) and the problem remains.

I then tried rebooting my pc (with additional plugins option disabled), problem still comes back after opening/closing prefs.
KN
Keith_Nuttall
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, tried removing plugins from plugin folder. No difference. No 3rd party plugins on my laptop anyway.
Also, should point out that not only are my computers using different graphics cards, they are also operating at different native resolutions.
Being an IT sort of guy, I tend to run my computers in a very stripped-down state, to maximise performance and free memory, so there isn’t much chance of other software interfering, unless it’s a conflicting DLL or somesuch thing. Both PCs are running NOD32 anti-virus, and have Epson inkjet printer drivers. Other than that, I can’t think of anything else they have in common.
HB
harold_berm
Feb 2, 2009
Now I’ve also noticed this after running the "auto-blend layers" command.
KN
Keith_Nuttall
Mar 4, 2009
I found out in this forum that the bug is due to the choice of XP Theme. I always use the Classic Theme, which is simpler than the default XP Theme. Unfortunately, Adobe seems to sometimes redraw the program chrome using the XP Theme, even if you’re not using it.
HB
harold_berm
Mar 5, 2009
Well ain’t that a kick in the teeth. I always use classic also.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections