JH
Posted By
Jim_Hess
Jan 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use a lot of adjustment layers in my image editing, and quite often I will use the "group with previous player" option. Sometimes, when I flatten the image to prepare a final JPEG for the Internet, I will see a shift in the intensity of some of the colors. And yet at other times this does not happen. I haven’t been able to identify what makes the difference. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might look for?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 27, 2004
Jim,

You might have better luck creating a new layer on top of stack and then select>all, edit>copy merged, edit>paste to new layer. (the keyboard shortcut for this eludes me at this moment…)
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 27, 2004
Thanks, Nancy. I’ll give it a try.
D
Dimrilldell
Jan 27, 2004
Is there a simple way of saving the new merged layer to file, one better than dragging it to a new canvas and then saving it?

Dim
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
Nancy,

I wonder if you were thinking about the "stamp visible" command?

With your layers’ visibility set as desired, create a new, blank layer at the top of the stack. With this layer selected, press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-E This merges everything visible onto the new layer, and leaves the original layers alone.

HTH,

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
Jim, with images for web I sometimes raise the saturation a little before using the save for web option. For some odd reason ( not really, jpeg can’t compare to psd ) the images lose a little saturation of color when saving for web.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
Byron,

I believe you have mental telepathy…that’s it.
BL
bob_lemon
Jan 28, 2004
Is "stamp visible" only in PSE2? I can’t find it in the PSE1 menus, but the CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-E combination works as you describe it.
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 28, 2004
Hi, Bob.

It’s not on the menu in PE2, either… it’s one of those "hidden" abilities that Elements inherited from Photoshop.

I picked up the tip from a tutorial (can’t recall exactly which/where) and it’s become one of my favorite tricks.

Byron
BL
bob_lemon
Jan 28, 2004
Thanks, Byron.

I found this in the HELP section under merging layers.

"To create a new, merged layer from all visible layers, while keeping the original layers intact:

1 Hide any layers you do not want to merge. Make sure that no hidden layers are linked to the visible layers.

2 Hold down Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS), and choose Layer > Merge Visible."

You must make a new layer before you do this or the merged layers will replace the layer that is selected.

Thanks for this tip. The way I was doing this before was a lot more cumbersome.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections