DA
Posted By
David_Atkin
Oct 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have new Dell computer with a flat panel monitor. What is the best way to calibrate it. I used Adobe gamma when I had a CRT monitor and I found it to be satisfactory for my needs. Is there something out there, modestly priced and providing functionality similar to Adobe gamma but useful for flat panel monitors?

Thanks for any help and direction you can provide.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
Oct 19, 2006
David,

One way is to open Adobe Gamma, load the profile that shipped with the monitor, Adjust NOTHING and re-save to a new name. If the supplied profile is reasonably accurate, then that may be sufficient for you.

Otherwise there are various utilities available on the web some of which are free downloads. Google is your friend.
D
deebs
Oct 19, 2006
Len: Google is indeed my friend but I respect your judgement far, far more than a general enquiry.

Any pointers you may wish to point to?
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 19, 2006
Deebs,

One software profiler I learned of and – although having little luck with it myself – saw others speak favorably of, is Praxisoft’s WiziWYG. You can find the download for it at <http://www.praxisoft.com/pages/support.downloads.html#wizi>

Hope that helps and, if so, perhaps you can share your results here. As for myself, I made the jump to purchasing the Monaco Optix XR colorimeter, which I use for my CRT and my Dell laptop’s LCD.

Regards,

Daryl
D
deebs
Oct 19, 2006
I promise to keep this post informed of my experience and inexperience in a full and open way

I don’t have a great deal of time at the moment but should be able to feedback in one form or another within the next week or so.

Plus! Great big thanks to Viewsonic for replacing my 17" VP with a 19" VP (though i don’t wish to give the impression that all may encounter the same service. It seems to depend what is in stock at the time?)
D
deebs
Oct 20, 2006
Ooops! Delayed even longer.

The 19" replacement has decided to do silly things 🙁
BE
Bernard_E_Saper
Oct 20, 2006
David:
Yes, there is a reasonably priced solution for calibrating your monitor. I suggest you consider Pantone’s recently product called, interestingly enough, Huey. It is available for $89.00 and works reasonably well. One of its major feautures is its simplicity. Another interesting and useful feature is that it constantly monitors the ambient light falling on the monitor and adjusts the calbration accordingly. Not to be compared with far more costly and complicated monitoring devices, Huey is a reasonable solution to satisfy your needs.
Bernard
D
deebs
Oct 20, 2006
This is sounding better by the moment.

Is HUEY limited to CRTs or does it also cover LCDs?
B
Brian
Oct 22, 2006
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:19:47 -0700, deebs wrote:

This is sounding better by the moment.

Is HUEY limited to CRTs or does it also cover LCDs?

Google with "pantone huey" for all the details?

B.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections