JD
Posted By
Joe_Dempsey
Jul 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This should probably be off-list, but how else can I start it? I’m looking to buy a flat monitor for high-quality work. I’d appreciate suggestions, comments and sources. Off list =

TIA,
Joe

PS: Isn’t there an Adobe PS Lounge (board)?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
Jul 15, 2004
It’s been discussed many times. Search the forum.

Yes, there’s a PS lounge.

BTW, when asking for advice on purchasing equipment, it’s best to supply a budget. LCDs for high end work are going to require a high end budget.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 15, 2004
It’s been noted here that LCD’s arent’t the best for exact color work as they’re difficult to calibrate and can apparently look different if viewed from slightly different angles. A good CRT is the best bet for color critical work.

I just got a Lacie electronblue IV 22". Great monitor for the price. They retail for about $699.

dave
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 15, 2004
btw, the lacie is a flat screen crt.

<http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10037>
RM
Rick Moore
Jul 15, 2004
Dave, that’s the one I want for my home machine. I’ve got the 19" version at my office and it’s the best monitor I’ve ever used. Out of curiosity, did you notice a fairly large off-gassing problem when it was new? Mine had a pretty bad odor for about a week, and I could swear it’s got a better picture now than when it was new

Rick Moore
Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects
www.bgkarchitects.com

I just got a Lacie electronblue IV 22". Great monitor for the price. They
retail for about $699.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 15, 2004
Out of curiosity, did you notice a fairly large off-gassing problem when it was new?

nope. and I’ve only had it for a couple of weeks, so it is pretty new. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 15, 2004
just to note, i bought this monitor because of recomendations from this group. if you do a forum search for lacie or monitor you should be able to find the threads…
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 15, 2004
<Baby blowing raspberry> blhhhhhhhhhh…</Baby blowing raspberry> I’m green with envy!!!

Have you tried it with the hood on yet????
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 15, 2004

no, the hood blocks out my secondary NEC LCD… XD
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 15, 2004
I have the same problem with my set up!

–dual monitors but no dual hoods–

-Told my husband just to build me a freakishly big desk hutch and I’ll paint the inside matte black!
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 15, 2004
build me a freakishly big desk hutch and I’ll paint the inside matte black!

LOL!

I really should try the hood. It’s detatchable right? I bet my 3d games (single monitor only) would look great!
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jul 15, 2004
You can make a hood using flat black foamcore board bought at Walmart for a couple of bucks.

Attach it with velcro. I made mine with hinged side flaps using black duct tape so I can lift the sides for quick removal.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 16, 2004
the lacie comes with a hood… i’m gonna hook it up now to see how it looks with Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of the Undertide.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 16, 2004
Oooooo! That was easy… 🙂

Velcro too. Nice.
JW
Jack Wickwire
Jul 16, 2004
I have been using an electron22blue for about 2 years and I found that the glue on the velcro patches for the hood slowly smear. The hood then falls off in derelict slow motion.

I got out a scissor-style leather punch and a pop rivet gun, punched a hole through each velcro patch in place on the hood then riveted them both. Now its rock steady with a touch of industrial chic.

Jack
JD
Joe_Dempsey
Jul 17, 2004
I think when I started this thread, I uncovered pent-up feelings to discuss monitors. Just so you’ll know, I’ve been converted. The demons of flat panels have been exorcised from my soul and I am ordering a brace of LaCie’s. Put your hand on the hood!
Amen!
Bro. Joe
From LA (Lower Arkansas)
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 17, 2004
AMEN brudda! 🙂

(loving the lacie. thanks ps forum guys and gals who recommended!)
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 17, 2004

Will that fit you then?

Seriously, I like it too. Now to find a store in Holland that has it.

Rob
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 17, 2004
<http://www.lacie.com>
<http://www.cdw.com>

rob, one of those guys might ship there. lacie has a lot of sites around the world you might get one near you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections