Substantial Enlargement Bicubic Smoother vs. Outside Software Solution?

JA
Posted By
Jules_Alexander
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Top guy, shmop guy

I have done both, I have used Genuine fractals, I have used several other upsizers and downsizers. I have an 8MP camera and upsize to 30-40 regularly.

Genuine fractals is the best, next is PSCS (10% solution) The worst is upsizing in one swoop.

Sorry, that’s my experience and I’m real picky.

Cheers

Jules

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
Dirk
Sep 19, 2006
"My opinion was that GF was slightly better than Bicubic Sharper and Photozoom my favorite by far. The S-spline algorithm gave superior results in my estimation."

I just did a test with all three methods and found Photozoom to give me better results also.
JV
John_Vitollo
Sep 19, 2006
Tested above apps myself and Photozoom was the winner.

D Ross are you printing the image yourself or are you having a printing company do the mural? If a third party is printing usually their rips have excellent interpolation and only need the native file.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 19, 2006
Here’s how I rank them:

1 – Genuine Fractals. It does a very smooth and believable job. 2 – PSCS2 Bicubic Smoother. Also excellent. But GF has the edge (no pun intended!) 3 – PhotoZoom S-Spline. Awful. The result looks totally plastic, not at all photographic.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 19, 2006
Rick,

When you determined your rankings was there any trend in terms of original size to final size, e.g. did you start with a 5 x 7 300 dpi and scaled to 15 x 21 at 300dpi or only 10 x 14?

What I’m asking ia at what point in scaling up to you begin to notice a difference between softwares that will also be noticeable when screened?

alan
DR
D_Ross
Sep 19, 2006
Actually, I did this months ago (the post was resurrected yesterday). I used GF from within PS9, and it came out really well. I’ll be back to this discussion for the next time as I did not try Photozoom. The PS Bicubic smoother I did try out and it did not look as good as the GF solution/filter from within PS.
RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 19, 2006
at what point in scaling up to you begin to notice a difference between softwares that will also be noticeable when screened?

I didn’t do an exhaustive test comparing the results st 200%, 300%, 400%, etc. My assumption is that for everything up to 200% or even 300%, Bicubic Smoother will be as good as GF in a practical sense. For me, the need for exceptional interpolating comes in at 300% and greater. My tests were at 300% and 500%. The "look and feel" of the S-Spline result was the same at both settings – in my opinion, fairly ugly.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections